Omicron Delta Kappa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arez10

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got an email about this honors society, and I'm kind of wondering if it's worth it. It's not very selective based on GPA but you're also picked because of leadership you've shown on campus. I know the general consensus is that if it's not Phi Beta Kappa or Phi Kappa Phi then it's not worth it, but then I saw this on Wikipedia:

Membership in the Omicron Delta Kappa Society is regarded as one of the highest collegiate honors that can be awarded to an individual, along with Phi Kappa Phi and Phi Beta Kappa.

I know someone from this honors society could have easily edited this entry :laugh: so I just wanted to see if anyone has even heard of this. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

So I just got an email about this honors society, and I'm kind of wondering if it's worth it. It's not very selective based on GPA but you're also picked because of leadership you've shown on campus. I know the general consensus is that if it's not Phi Beta Kappa or Phi Kappa Phi then it's not worth it, but then I saw this on Wikipedia:

Membership in the Omicron Delta Kappa Society is regarded as one of the highest collegiate honors that can be awarded to an individual, along with Phi Kappa Phi and Phi Beta Kappa.

I know someone from this honors society could have easily edited this entry :laugh: so I just wanted to see if anyone has even heard of this. Thanks.

ODK was started at my alma mater and is one of the oldest Greek honors societies in the country. I believe that GPA requirements vary from school to school (case in point: I graduated with honors and still didn't qualify at W&L, even though I held the largest leadership position on campus.)

In my opinion, while the prestige is subjective from school to school, ODK as a whole is a great organization and one that looks just as nice on a resume as PBK in many circles. If you have the chance to join, don't pass it up, this isn't a Who's Who yearbook.

ODK was started at my alma mater and is one of the oldest Greek honors societies in the country. I believe that GPA requirements vary from school to school (case in point: I graduated with honors and still didn't qualify at W&L, even though I held the largest leadership position on campus.)

In my opinion, while the prestige is subjective from school to school, ODK as a whole is a great organization and one that looks just as nice on a resume as PBK in many circles. If you have the chance to join, don't pass it up, this isn't a Who's Who yearbook.

Agreed! If you have a chance to apply, go for it. But at my school, an invitation to apply is by no means an acceptance to the society. I am in ODK at my school and have participated in the selections process. Let's just say it's quite difficult to get in. We had 60+ applicants and accepted about 25. On my campus, this is THE honors society to be in. Of course, it's more about leadership and involvement than grades, but grades do matter. It is in my opinion the most well-rounded society as it considers academics, scholarships, internships, research, involvement, leadership, athletics, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
We got so many honor society I dont know which is good and which is just trying to make the 75+$ registration fee.

Agreed. In general ODK is a reputable organization, though it's selectivity is very campus dependent.

At most of the schools I'm familiar with it's one of the top 3 or 4 honorary groups to be involved in, usually falling after whatever local tradition groups exist (eg QEHB at Mizzou, or The Innocents at Nebraska or Cap and Skull at Rutgers, or Florida Blue Key at UF). Mortar Board is usually more prestigious too (though not always). However, at least in comparison to the local groups, ODK has more national recognition...