kangar00

5+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I was invited to join omicron delta kappa, the national leadership society. I'm already busy as is and was wondering how prestigious this society is. Should I be honored that I've been invited?

DrTica

7+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I disagree, if you really are or would like to be a *leader* on campus then ODK is an excellent way to further your goals and network with other leaders on campus. Also, it is very prestigious and provides many service opportunities to get involved in, especially if your school has a very active chapter.

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]

The initiation fee for a lifetime membership into Omicron Delta Kappa is $70.

Do Nobel Prize winners have to pay 70 dollars for induction too? If you have to pay for it and can apply to join with paltry requirements like leadership in any club essentially and top 35% do NOT join because you think it will help your application. I suppose it can be useful if you intend to get involved and utilize it, but if you are just going to put it on your mantle it isn't worth it.

Oct 24, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I was invited to join omicron delta kappa, the national leadership society. I'm already busy as is and was wondering how prestigious this society is. Should I be honored that I've been invited?
Its an honor and goes nicely on your resume as a campus-wide leadership distinction. I would say add up all the honors you can.

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
SOCMOB
Status
Attending Physician
Its an honor and goes nicely on your resume as a campus-wide leadership distinction. I would say add up all the honors you can.
These honor societies are in it for the money. They find anyone that meets XYZ criteria and send out invites offering induction to anyone that is willing to pay the $.

If the criteria for joining is already something that is in your application, med schools should see right through these resume padding honors.

dw2158

10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
These honor societies are in it for the money. They find anyone that meets XYZ criteria and send out invites offering induction to anyone that is willing to pay the $.

If the criteria for joining is already something that is in your application, med schools should see right through these resume padding honors.
i agree with you, but i'm mostly quoting your post to say :lol: at your signature!