OMM Blues

Started by Mr Kenobi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You might be spending too much time on OPP.

Apparently I'm not spending enough time on it, it's the only class I'm below class average on. I spend zero time on it except for labs and the few days leading up to an exam. Our OPP stuff is what I consider to be very in depth as far as the material goes. But if you take exams into account I'd say my class averages anywhere from 5-8 hours per week on OMM. I could spend that time better doing about anything else.
 
Apparently I'm not spending enough time on it, it's the only class I'm below class average on. I spend zero time on it except for labs and the few days leading up to an exam. Our OPP stuff is what I consider to be very in depth as far as the material goes. But if you take exams into account I'd say my class averages anywhere from 5-8 hours per week on OMM. I could spend that time better doing about anything else.

Damn, up to 8 hours per week? That's double what I spent per week.
 
Update: Even my knowledge of the Force couldn't help me from getting nailed on my crainial practical today.

If you are currently in the interview cycle and are lucky enough to gain multiple acceptances; it couldn't hurt to take into consideration each school's OMM department/ curriculum before deciding on a school--especially if you think you might have an issue with learning and being heavily assessed on the extremely fringe concepts. This didn't even occur to me when I was deciding which school to attend. As has been uncovered in this thread; some schools, more than others, more heavily emphasize the dubious aspects of OMM in their curriculum. My school has spent the last month on cranial. People in my class are getting really fed up with it. Just a word of advice.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
first OMM practical today. everyone was nervous as hell...I think i did well on everything except for palpation. I was asked to palpate something very difficult. Hope I don't fail med school because of a palpation. That is some real OMM blues right there

Confidence. Just remember that intrarater and interrater reliability is generally low in asymptomatic subjects so just say the diagnosis with confidence.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
^also, tread lightly. If you question things the subjective grading may "coincidentally" not fall in your favor.
 
Confidence. Just remember that intrarater and interrater reliability is generally low in asymptomatic subjects so just say the diagnosis with confidence.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sorry. I don't understand. Lol
 
I'm sorry. I don't understand. Lol
Be confident in how you approach the practical. Don't question yourself in front of the faculty. If they ask you to feel for tenderness, confidently tell them where you think it is (even if you have no idea what you're feeling for).
 
Be confident in how you approach the practical. Don't question yourself in front of the faculty. If they ask you to feel for tenderness, confidently tell them where you think it is (even if you have no idea what you're feeling for).
While I agree this is a must do approach. This will only work with certain faculty members. (At least in my experience). Anything to up your chances Of getting those points for feeling what isn't there I suppose...
 
While I agree this is a must do approach. This will only work with certain faculty members. (At least in my experience). Anything to up your chances Of getting those points for feeling what isn't there I suppose...

Had an OMM professor like that. Whatever my dx was, if I was confident, he would always make me re-check it. Couldn't win with him. Luckily I only had him once or twice during practicals.
 
Had an OMM professor like that. Whatever my dx was, if I was confident, he would always make me re-check it. Couldn't win with him. Luckily I only had him once or twice during practicals.
Dude, the last month of OMM has made me so damn bitter...I've actually questioned what the hell I'm doing in a DO school. The level absurdity with OMM has hit expert level.
 
While I agree this is a must do approach. This will only work with certain faculty members. (At least in my experience). Anything to up your chances Of getting those points for feeling what isn't there I suppose...
Yeah that's a good point. We have maybe 2 hardcore OMM faculty members but rest are chill. Luck plays a role in the practicals. Same thing with OSCEs. Some attendings are known for being really detail oriented
 
Dude, the last month of OMM has made me so damn bitter...I've actually questioned what the hell I'm doing in a DO school. The level absurdity with OMM has hit expert level.

Sorry to hear man. Hopefully it's over! You're in school to be a physician. Don't ever forget it! Eye on the prize.
 
Dude, the last month of OMM has made me so damn bitter...I've actually questioned what the hell I'm doing in a DO school. The level absurdity with OMM has hit expert level.

Woah, man, I don't think I've ever seen you post like this. They must have really laid it on thick this month. I've got one week of cranial left, and while I'm not as open minded as I was last week, I'm really thankful for my OPP professors right now.

They basically told us, they won't grade us on whether or not we feel the PRM, but will expect us to know things like hand placement and how we'd expect our hands to move in different dysfunctions. It sounds like OPP faculty at your school take it to a whole other level.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
With effort, OMM should not keep us from becoming docs.. Yet why does it cause at least as much stress as the anatomy/embryo/ rads/ physio/histo? Lol it's absurd.
 
With effort, OMM should not keep us from becoming docs.. Yet why does it cause at least as much stress as the anatomy/embryo/ rads/ physio/histo? Lol it's absurd.
When you want to be studying for you next big test, you're stuck in the OMM lab. It can be stressful, especially when you're still getting used to med school. Suck it up for boards and never look back.
 
When you want to be studying for you next big test, you're stuck in the OMM lab. It can be stressful, especially when you're still getting used to med school. Suck it up for boards and never look back.
All of the things you just said apply to my whole class. lol. We just had 7 exams in 7 days. Was pretty rough. And they try to scare the **** out of us for OMM. Like "better not fail te quizzes or you're going to have to redo MS1"
 
All of the things you just said apply to my whole class. lol. We just had 7 exams in 7 days. Was pretty rough. And they try to scare the **** out of us for OMM. Like "better not fail te quizzes or you're going to have to redo MS1"
At least they call it MS1 at your school.
2hs195g.jpg
 
Last edited:
I feel bad for you guys that actually had to do Cranial as a practical exam. Our practical for the Cranial section was just us demonstrating the holds, then being pimped. I kid you not, we had a station where they would just pimp us with board questions.

No OMM professor at our school really believed Cranial had any value. Our primary lecturer openly stated his disdain/embarrassment over it.
 
I feel bad for you guys that actually had to do Cranial as a practical exam. Our practical for the Cranial section was just us demonstrating the holds, then being pimped. I kid you not, we had a station where they would just pimp us with board questions.

No OMM professor at our school really believed Cranial had any value. Our primary lecturer openly stated his disdain/embarrassment over it.
upload_2014-10-2_20-37-43.png
 

Attachments

  • upload_2014-10-2_20-37-34.png
    upload_2014-10-2_20-37-34.png
    123.4 KB · Views: 170
I feel bad for you guys that actually had to do Cranial as a practical exam. Our practical for the Cranial section was just us demonstrating the holds, then being pimped. I kid you not, we had a station where they would just pimp us with board questions.

No OMM professor at our school really believed Cranial had any value. Our primary lecturer openly stated his disdain/embarrassment over it.

My school falls somewhere in between. I think we have maybe 2-3 OMM faculty that are really in to cranial. But they seem to be people who really carry a lot of influence in the department. They tell us, "Some people can't feel the CRI, but you just need to be able to understand it and appreciate when it might benefit a patient so you can refer them to a cranial specialist." On the other hand, I don't think we're actually graded on whether we diagnose it right in the practical, just if we can do the right hold, and know the treatments.
 
"Some people can't feel the CRI, but you just need to be able to understand it and appreciate when it might benefit a patient so you can refer them to a cranial specialist."

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I think my disbelief in cranial stems most significantly from the measure of scale used. If we're talking about applied corrective force equivalent to ounces of weight (if I recall correctly), then the "treatment" is no different than various erratic forces applied to your cranium hundreds of times a day. Hell, I could sleep funny at night or have a piece of hail hit me on my head, and that would probably be a more theoretically influential force than a couple-minute session every several days or whatever.

God forbid you do something like fall while playing sports or get in an MVA. Your CRI would be off the chain, yo.

Yea usually... But I was mostly just jerking around. Sorry, I'm not myself lately... Pseudoscience got me a little disgruntled at the moment.

If you're really pissed about this whole stigma, maybe consider a field where nobody looks you up in a directory. Maybe Pathology, Radiology, etc.
 
Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to (hopefully) cheer you all up with an anecdote.

I found out I passed all my level/step-2 board exams, just got my COMLEX practical passing notification yesterday. Do you know what that means?

It means that I will only have one more standardized exam containing OMM, ever! I have to do a few more patient treatments before the end of the year, a couple journal reviews (where I basically point out the holes in the study design and get full credit), and step 3 in a year or so, and then I'm done with OMM forever!

And you all will be too in a few short years, if that's your choice.

Feels great!
 
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to (hopefully) cheer you all up with an anecdote.

I found out I passed all my level/step-2 board exams, just got my COMLEX practical passing notification yesterday. Do you know what that means?

It means that I will only have one more standardized exam containing OMM, ever! I have to do a few more patient treatments before the end of the year, a couple journal reviews (where I basically point out the holes in the study design and get full credit), and step 3 in a year or so, and then I'm done with OMM forever!

And you all will be too in a few short years, if that's your choice.

Feels great!

There isn't enough peanut butter in the world to describe how jelly I am of you right now.
 
I cant wait to never use OM"M" ever again.

It is straight up useless. Just look at the fact that there are NO CONTRAINDICATIONS.

That means that OM"M" doesn't physiologically change anything in the body.

Every treatment you give a patient has to have contraindications. They are a good thing. They exist because you are doing something to the patient that affects their homeostasis.

If OM"M" was actually anything more than extra billable BS, we would be told that you cant treat T4 in patients with MIs.... You cant use sacral during bradycardia....you cant use cranial on a patient on a ventilator.


Dont you its a little fishy that all of OM"M" always benefits every patient, and nobody has ever been harmed by it? (Spoiler alert: its because its 100% placebo)
 
*Cue the idiot posting about how he had a patient having a hemorrhagic stroke that he cured by rib raising*
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I cant wait to never use OM"M" ever again.

It is straight up useless. Just look at the fact that there are NO CONTRAINDICATIONS.

That means that OM"M" doesn't physiologically change anything in the body.

Every treatment you give a patient has to have contraindications. They are a good thing. They exist because you are doing something to the patient that affects their homeostasis.

If OM"M" was actually anything more than extra billable BS, we would be told that you cant treat T4 in patients with MIs.... You cant use sacral during bradycardia....you cant use cranial on a patient on a ventilator.


Dont you its a little fishy that all of OM"M" always benefits every patient, and nobody has ever been harmed by it? (Spoiler alert: its because its 100% placebo)

What are you talking about? There are indeed relative and absolute contraindications. Not going to argue the merit of them, but they do exist.
 
I cant wait to never use OM"M" ever again.

It is straight up useless. Just look at the fact that there are NO CONTRAINDICATIONS.

That means that OM"M" doesn't physiologically change anything in the body.

Every treatment you give a patient has to have contraindications. They are a good thing. They exist because you are doing something to the patient that affects their homeostasis.

If OM"M" was actually anything more than extra billable BS, we would be told that you cant treat T4 in patients with MIs.... You cant use sacral during bradycardia....you cant use cranial on a patient on a ventilator.


Dont you its a little fishy that all of OM"M" always benefits every patient, and nobody has ever been harmed by it? (Spoiler alert: its because its 100% placebo)
What are you talking about? There are indeed relative and absolute contraindications. Not going to argue the merit of them, but they do exist.
10470808_708971239190811_5817229652776966076_n.jpg
 
What are you talking about? There are indeed relative and absolute contraindications. Not going to argue the merit of them, but they do exist.

Yeah. This. If your OMM professors are teaching you that there are no contraindications, they aren't teaching to their field. Again thanking God that my school doesn't teach OMM the way some schools do, because it would drive me crazy.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: GUH
Yea there are "relative" contraindications, like dont move the head when they have a fractured c2.

Lets take rib raising for example. The only contraindications are fractured rib, spinal injury, malignancy.
Next, you can list all the things that rib raising can "treat".



Try not to spill any of the kool aid that you guys are chugging. That **** stains.
 
Yea there are "relative" contraindications, like dont move the head when they have a fractured c2.

Lets take rib raising for example. The only contraindications are fractured rib, spinal injury, malignancy.
Next, you can list all the things that rib raising can "treat".



Try not to spill any of the kool aid that you guys are chugging. That **** stains.
And don't forget the most important contraindication: the patient speaks a different language than the physician. Lol. Lmao
 
Yea there are "relative" contraindications, like dont move the head when they have a fractured c2.

Lets take rib raising for example. The only contraindications are fractured rib, spinal injury, malignancy.
Next, you can list all the things that rib raising can "treat".



Try not to spill any of the kool aid that you guys are chugging. That **** stains.
There are absolute contraindications as well for almost every treatment. Also, pretty much no one in this thread is "drinking the Koolaid" we are just pointing out that the entire basis of your argument is false. How about you get even some of your facts straight before going off on a rant specifically about said "facts."
 
  • Like
Reactions: D4C
There are absolute contraindications as well for almost every treatment. Also, pretty much no one in this thread is "drinking the Koolaid" we are just pointing out that the entire basis of your argument is false. How about you get even some of your facts straight before going off on a rant specifically about said "facts."

Lol. Alright.

Please explain to me how V-spread is supposed to lower the heart rate, but it isnt contraindicated in bradycardia....
 
Lol. Alright.

Please explain to me how V-spread is supposed to lower the heart rate, but it isnt contraindicated in bradycardia....
Please explain to me how you can go on a page long rant on something you know nothing about. Something that you could have Googled in about 5 seconds and realized that you were wrong. I'm not a cranial supporter by any means, and I think that OMM needs to be cleaned up of all the treatments that are pseudoscience, so we are in agreement on that topic.
 
And in typical OM"M" fashion, we dodge the questions when they make too much sense.

And no. I have not been kicked out. I just hate the fact that I am actually paying to learn about this bogus crap.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Please explain to me how you can go on a page long rant on something you know nothing about. Something that you could have Googled in about 5 seconds and realized that you were wrong. I'm not a cranial supporter by any means, and I think that OMM needs to be cleaned up of all the treatments that are pseudoscience, so we are in agreement on that topic.


In what way am I wrong? V-spread isnt contraindicated in bradycardia...And look I am really not this much of a bitter douche in real life. Im just venting.
 
In what way am I wrong? V-spread isnt contraindicated in bradycardia...And look I am really not this much of a bitter douche in real life. Im just venting.
If it actually had any effects like it purported, it would have contraindications. Cranial is the tip of the quack pyramid. So yes, beyond any placebo effects, it's pretty useless.
 
In what way am I wrong? V-spread isnt contraindicated in bradycardia...And look I am really not this much of a bitter douche in real life. Im just venting.
Well you did act as if in all of OMM there were no contraindications and then when corrected acted as if there were no absolute contraindications. But, I get it man. I get a little perturbed too when I am having to put in significant time before a practical that I could be spending studying lectures. I'm not the confrontational type in real life either, so I understand that on SDN we are commonly just seeing people in a snapshot of time.
 
Sorry nurwollen, but nothing i have posted is "made up". If you want to explain how v spread isnt contraindicated in bradycardia, i am all ears.


In fact... What you just posted is actually the definition of trolling. You have added nothing to the conversation, and only are trying to stir the pot. Thats what trolling is.