OMM question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theaznfunk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I came across an OMM q in one of the COMSAE's that I had a problem with. I'm probably overthinking an easy question, but anyhow:

It asked something along the lines of treating an abscess in the left arm and what technique would I use first to aid in lymphatic drainage. I narrowed it down to:
1. rib raising
2. opening up the thoracic outlet

I answered opening the thoracic outlet because that's always needed to induce proper lymph flow, but I was also a bit confused with this because aren't you supposed to treat sympathetics before you try opening up lymphatics? And plus, rib raising helps lymphatics at the same time.
What would you put? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Thoracic inlet. Because if the thoracic inlet is blocked everything gets backed up. Open that up first, allow for drainage and then left the rest flow out.

Just like you wouldn't try to unclog a toliet if the septic tank was backed up also

Members don't see this ad :)
Look at the Rib/Thoracic chapter's questions.. I think I might have seen it there.

If it's not there, I had a COMBANK question on it.

Either way, I know treating the rib is first for sure.

Look at the Rib/Thoracic chapter's questions.. I think I might have seen it there.

Are you saying to always treat the ribs first for lymphatic techniques? In general you don't always treat the ribs first . . .

Page 125 of Savarese has tx thoracic inlet dysfxn listed before rib raising. He references pg. 1062 of Foundations if anyone can check that and let us know what it officially says.

Checked the chapter doesn't have a question on that.

Besides what my professors always taught us was to treat the thoracic inlet first.

Check page 125 Section VIII Types of lymphatic treatment. It states

A basic Sequence for lymphatic treatment program should include:

1 - Tx any thoracic inlet somatic dysfunction
2 - Rib Rasing or paraspinal inhibition

So according to Savereese you would treat Thoracic Inlet first then preform Rib Rasing or paraspinal inhibition.

Page 125 of Savarese has tx thoracic inlet dysfxn listed before rib raising. He references pg. 1062 of Foundations if anyone can check that and let us know what it officially says.

If that's the case, I probably had a COMBANK question on it. Savarese even says, "a basic sequence would follow", which doesn't necessarily mean that is the correct objective order.

I agree with treating the thoracic inlet first whenever dealing with lymphatic treatments. This is also what we learned in school.

From Combank: "COMLEX insight: If there's a question about lymphatics and OMM on the COMLEX level I, look for a treatment involving the thoracic inlet/outlet. The physiology is important: lymphatics drain upward from the extremities and periphery before dumping into the left and right thoracic ducts. These ducts cross in close proximity of the clavicle. Restriction at the thoracic duct backs up the whole system, so peripheral treatments are ineffective if restrictions at this area are not addressed first."

Sounds like Combank also says to treat the thoracic inlet first. :thumbup:

On page 577 of Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine, it mentions treating acute peripheral areas first before ribs and thoracics sequence and so Thoracic inlet wins

Hey I came across an OMM q in one of the COMSAE's that I had a problem with. I'm probably overthinking an easy question, but anyhow:

It asked something along the lines of treating an abscess in the left arm and what technique would I use first to aid in lymphatic drainage. I narrowed it down to:
1. rib raising
2. opening up the thoracic outlet

I answered opening the thoracic outlet because that's always needed to induce proper lymph flow, but I was also a bit confused with this because aren't you supposed to treat sympathetics before you try opening up lymphatics? And plus, rib raising helps lymphatics at the same time.
What would you put? :confused:

I need a tutor for OMM written questions, could you please respond to me: [email protected]