OMS program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ejoseph

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why do some schools have a 4-year OMS program while others have a 6 year (OMS-MD) program. If the two extra years are just to get an MD degree, then I think I'll pass. Honestly, if I wanted an MD degree I'd go to med. school.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you pretty much had the equivalent of two years of med school under your belt after you graduate dental school (i.e. all the basic sciences you took in freshman and sophomore years)... So why not do two more and get an MD in the bargain? :D

Ejoseph:

It's not all about just getting that MD degree. For me, personally, I'm aiming to apply to the 6 year OMS/MD residencies when I complete my DMD degree in 2006. With the MD degree, my scope of practice can really expand. For example, if I want to be certified and trained in Plastic Surgery (which I do), then I need that MD degree to do Plastics fellowship/residency after my OMS residency.

Although the scope of practice in dentistry between an OMS and an OMS/MD is the same, but if an OMS wishes to expand in his/hers practice (to do more ENT procedures and/or plastics), then it's good to have that MD degree.

Bottom line, it's all about what you want to do with your OMS practice. If you just want do mainly dental work, then MD or no MD will not make a difference, but if you wish to do more than 3rds and implants and want to expand your scope of practice, then that MD will come in handy.

you must want to go to school for the rest of your life. ; )