This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ASDOH or Dugoni?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been lucky enough to be accepted into both dental schools. I am from Los Angeles and would obviously have to move out either way and both schools are an equal distance away from me but I was wondering: which school would be better for me career-wise especially if my plan is to hopefully go down the OMFS route?

*Please spare me the lecture about how I won't know that I truly want to do OMFS until I'm actually in dental school. I'll figure that out myself.*

I myself am leaning towards ASDOH because it seems like the school and its students are a lot more relaxed, especially with their P/F curriculum, that I feel can help with reserving time for CBSE studying amongst other things that I'd have to do before applying to OMFS residency programs. Am I making a mistake?

Are there any benefits that one school would have over the other in terms of specializing? Any and all feedback and advice is greatly appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I've been lucky enough to be accepted into both dental schools. I am from Los Angeles and would obviously have to move out either way and both schools are an equal distance away from me but I was wondering: which school would be better for me career-wise especially if my plan is to hopefully go down the OMFS route?

*Please spare me the lecture about how I won't know that I truly want to do OMFS until I'm actually in dental school. I'll figure that out myself.*

I myself am leaning towards ASDOH because it seems like the school and its students are a lot more relaxed, especially with their P/F curriculum, that I feel can help with reserving time for CBSE studying amongst other things that I'd have to do before applying to OMFS residency programs. Am I making a mistake?

Are there any benefits that one school would have over the other in terms of specializing? Any and all feedback and advice is greatly appreciated! :)
cheaper...

Just go to the cheaper one/the one you like more. No one cares what school you go to. They care that your grades were good, cbse is high, you’re a hard worker and team player, and that you’re cool and someone they’d wanna hang out with for 4-6 years

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just go to the cheaper one/the one you like more. No one cares what school you go to. They care that your grades were good, cbse is high, you’re a hard worker and team player, and that you’re cool and someone they’d wanna hang out with for 4-6 years
Does this still apply to a school that uses P/F grading?

I understand but besides for cost, is there any kind of advantage that one school has over another for specializing in OMFS or any other kind of competitive specialty?
you can truly specialize from any school, so it isn't as big of a factor. You really want to minimize your debt load, because if you do actually plan on specializing you will be taking out even more loans and not being able to pay them for longer, making interest acrue

Reactions: 1 users
I would do the 3-year program. Worst case, if you don't get accepted into OMFS your first year then you can do a fellowship/internship at an OMFS program for your "4th year of dental school". I see it as extremely beneficial because one extra year of income as an OS would be incredible. Also, one less year of schooling would be amazing. You are looking at a minimum of 7-10 more years of no real income. I would rather have it be 7 than 8.

But this is also coming from someone who is going to Roseman's 3-year program & is thinking about specializing as well.

Excuse me if I’m wrong, but cbse score expectations might be higher if you go to P/F. Without a class rank, there’s simply less information to evaluate you on. Go to the cheapest school and be the best student you can be.

Reactions: 1 user
ASDOH without a question. I go to a P/F school and everyone who is studying for the CBSE always talks about how valuable the P/F curriculum is while studying for the CBSE.

Also I thought Dugoni is infamous for having a very busy curriculum with no breaks. I thought I remember hearing from someone that they barely have any time to study for the CBSE or going on externships. I don't know any surgery residents who went to Dugoni, but that's anecdotal.

Last edited: