[OMS1] Advice for this summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ehwic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current OMS1. What should I be doing in the summer? Should I be looking for research in a field Im interested in or would it be OK to just take the whole summer off as it's my last real summer?

I was also accepted to the Paul Ambrose Scholars Program https://www.ambrosescholars.org/, but Im a little hesitant to take it as I dont see a benefit in the program anymore.

The program required me to create a project and implement it to improve my community. They also require scholars to attend a conference in April, however, the costs are a little high as they wont cover for the conference registration fee (nor any part of the conference). Thus, it seems like a way to recruit students to attend the conference by putting a spin on it.

I would love some insight. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Any way you can convince your school to pay for you to attend?

What specialty do you want? If your heart is set on primary care then do whatever you want. Anything competitive then do summer research to get a poster out of it. For some specialties it seems like lack of research is blasphemous.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any way you can convince your school to pay for you to attend?

Nope, have tried already.

What specialty do you want? If your heart is set on primary care then do whatever you want. Anything competitive then do summer research to get a poster out of it. For some specialties it seems like lack of research is blasphemous.

I know surg/derm/obgyn are definitely no's. Other than that, Im not sure on what I want to go in to yet so that is why Im confused as to what I should be doing.

Nope, have tried already.

I know surg/derm/obgyn are definitely no's. Other than that, Im not sure on what I want to go in to yet so that is why Im confused as to what I should be doing.

If you're not burned out then something is better than nothing.

First summer of medical school is a very important time to start a research project and to get connected within your field of choice, especially as a DO. If not, you're in a pretty big setback.

Last edited:
I just accepted an internship at one of the most prestigious congenital cardiology institutes in the world and will be rotating there for a few weeks working in surgery and the clinic. Cardio is what I want to eventually go into.
What school do you go to?