OMT and Otitis Media

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sixteenstones

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anyone interested, here is a great article about the benefits of OMT in otitis media in children. This article is from the archives of pediatric and adolescent medicine.

http://archpedi.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/157/9/861

Members don't see this ad.

I could note that this seems to be posted in the wrong forum, but I suppose it could be of interest to any pediatric practitioners. That said, I was intrigued enough to read the article. I have one big honking problem with their study, and several smaller ones.

The smaller ones:

Very small study size - hard to draw conclusions from a single study this small. They acknowledged this in the comment.

Lack of single blinding - parents and patients knew which treatment group they were in. Some would argue that it's impossible to perform a blinded study about manipulation therapy. I disagree. Given that most of the lay public couldn't distinguish manipulation from soft tissue massage, I think it is not only possible but should be almost required for validity. Patients should have received an equal amount of "laying on" of hands by the practitioner regardless of which study group they were in. Again, they noted this limitation in their comments.

The big problem I had with this study is something they remarked on early in the section on the study participants, but didn't note as a limitation on the study in their comments. The control and study groups differed significantly in that the group that received manipulation had only one child who was exposed to passive tobacco smoke, while the control group had seven children exposed to passive tobacco smoke.

Since the patients were randomly assigned, this aberration is not the fault of the study design nor execution, but it should have been discussed in the comments as nearly invalidating the results.

Worse, the authors did not even try to statistically adjust for the difference in tobacco exposure. The statistical analysis appears to be merely a collection of simple comparison of means (student's t-test?) rather than a ANOVA, which should have been done for this study with such a different baseline population. Instead they draw the conclusion that manipulation is useful for AOM. My statistics knowledge is pretty rusty, so those who are more knowledgeable may correct me here.

No other demographic variable affected the relationship between group and episodes.

They say this, but it doesn't appear they actually did the statistical analysis to prove that smoke exposure didn't affect the differences. If they did, I can't find it in their publication.

Passive smoking has been known to be a significant risk factor for AOM (Pediatrics. 1992 Aug;90(2 Pt 1):228-32.), yet they ignored this risk in their analysis. It's no surprise that the control group had a significantly higher recurrence of AOM than the study group then.

How bad is smoking for kids' ears? This Turkish study (Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1999 Jul;125(7):758-62.)compared a control group and an exposure group that differed in the level of cigarette smoke exposure by only 19.4 v 14.4 cigarettes per day. They found a very significant risk even in the increased exposure of 5 extra cigarettes per day to a p < 0.001. So it seems any difference in the level of cigarettes exposure is likely to greatly increase risk of recurrent OM.

I don't fault them for the problems with their patient characteristics. I do fault them for drawing unsupported conclusions based on such questionable data and poor analysis.

Characterizing this as a "great article" is something of a stretch. Interesting, yes. Good, perhaps. Great? Not even close. The lesson here is that you have to read medical studies with a close eye. Just because it's published doesn't mean it's correct, accurate, nor well-done. It just means it's been published.

Originally posted by Sessamoid

Worse, the authors did not even try to statistically adjust for the difference in tobacco exposure. The statistical analysis appears to be merely a collection of simple comparison of means (student's t-test?) rather than a ANOVA, which should have been done for this study with such a different baseline population. Instead they draw the conclusion that manipulation is useful for AOM. My statistics knowledge is pretty rusty, so those who are more knowledgeable may correct me here.

ANOVA will simply correct for when multiple comparisons are being made. Statistical adjustment for tobacco exposure is not possible with ANOVA alone. They said they adjusted for baseline characteristics - perhaps they found that tobacco smoke exposure did not effect any of their outcomes, and thus felt that tobacco could be left out of their model.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, this is technically in the wrong forum. If you want me to move it to the osteopathic forum, please let me know. For now, I'm going to assume that you wanted *allopathic* students to read this article and comment.

Move it to the Osteopathic forum, I think it will only create a flame war here. Nobody likes flame wars.

Originally posted by Adcadet
ANOVA will simply correct for when multiple comparisons are being made. Statistical adjustment for tobacco exposure is not possible with ANOVA alone. They said they adjusted for baseline characteristics - perhaps they found that tobacco smoke exposure did not effect any of their outcomes, and thus felt that tobacco could be left out of their model.

Perhaps they did adjust, but given the studies I cited and the lack of any that disprove smoking to be a risk I think it very poor science to omit that calculation. They tried to mitigate this by noting that their study group had a greater exposure to pets than the control group. What's funny is that I remember a recent study (don't have the link) that noted a marked DECREASE in the incidence of asthma flareups and/or allergies in children with multiple pets in the household, so this argues even more strongly against their assumptions about the dataset. It's sad that I'm not a pediatrcian, and even I know about these risk factors.

Originally posted by sleep deprived
Move it to the Osteopathic forum, I think it will only create a flame war here. Nobody likes flame wars.

Good point. I hate MD vs DO threads and would love to start a new policy banning them. Anyway, I'll move this over to osteo, for those of you interested, please follow the link over there....

It's sad that I'm not a pediatrcian, and even I know about these risk factors.

:laugh:

You DID do some pediatric rotations as a student years ago, didn't you?

Q, DO

Just a point...two of the physicians in the study are instructors at my school, and the lead researcher (Dr. Mills) is actually an MD. She treated my daughter one time, and managed to have some success, but she eventually needed tubes, and has since been diagnosed with a transient IgG deficiency...what does this mean? I dont know, I just thought it would be interesting to mention :) Dr Mills is a wonderful practitioner, and while I do not always agree with most tenets of what OMT can and cannot do, I think this has some merit to it.

Perhaps they did adjust, but given the studies I cited and the lack of any that disprove smoking to be a risk I think it very poor science to omit that calculation. They tried to mitigate this by noting that their study group had a greater exposure to pets than the control group. What's funny is that I remember a recent study (don't have the link) that noted a marked DECREASE in the incidence of asthma flareups and/or allergies in children with multiple pets in the household, so this argues even more strongly against their assumptions about the dataset. It's sad that I'm not a pediatrcian, and even I know about these risk factors.

Uhhh...adjusting for something because there is no evidence to show that it is not related is crazy (if so, we'd be adjusting for blood type, shoe size, position of Mars, etc), so I assume you mean that there is good evidence (from other studies, and probably this one) that smoking is related to the outcome variable.

And yeah, I remember something about allergen exposure (pets) decreasing the incidence of asthma flare ups.

Originally posted by Adcadet
Uhhh...adjusting for something because there is no evidence to show that it is not related is crazy

I agree that it would be crazy if there were no literature to support smoking exposure increases risk of AOM. But I cited two articles in my original reply above which does link passive smoking to increased risk of AOM. If they found that smoking had no effect on incidence and recurrence of AOM, I'd think that would be a much more important finding than the one they set out to prove.

What I found most amusing (and a little disturbing) was that the Turkish study I cited above used a 14.4 cig/day exposure level as the "low smoking" group.

OK OK,
look, the study was obviously set up as a pilot study and not difinitive proof.
The study sessamoid quoted only looked at 132 children (hardly proves his point) and stated that "It is estimated that 8% of the cases of otitis media with effusion in this population and 17.6% of the days with otitis media with effusion may be attributable to exposure to tobacco smoke." Hardly a rip roaring lawsuit against RJR! Yet, it is intriguing.

There are obvious potential benefits to this treatment, with zero side effects (even patient/parent satisfaction was increased)...anyone with a child with constant earaches or a EM physician seeing these children can appreciate the possible noninvasive and successful adjuncts to treatment that will 1. decrease patient failures 2. decrease patient visits 3. make some people happy!
This pilot study, though limited is a success and deserves to be reproduced in a larger fashion...the editors likely realize this.

Originally posted by DocWagner
OK OK,
look, the study was obviously set up as a pilot study and not difinitive proof.
The study sessamoid quoted only looked at 132 children (hardly proves his point) and stated that "It is estimated that 8% of the cases of otitis media with effusion in this population and 17.6% of the days with otitis media with effusion may be attributable to exposure to tobacco smoke." Hardly a rip roaring lawsuit against RJR! Yet, it is intriguing.

Actually, it might not be a bad way to go after RJR for a class-action... :) 8% of all cases of AOM in America? That's a lotsa moolah! Those guys till have lots of money. Have you seen the dividend return on tobacco stocks?