OMT and Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mechanictodr

Dropin' it like it's hot
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is a long way off for me, but I was curious about how much OMT is usually required if you choose an osteopathic based residency, but something besides OMM for a specialty.

I imagine it varies from residency to residency, but there has to be a "typical" amount. Just curious as to how much that would be on a per week basis.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I know of a few AOA residencies around here, and I'd think this would be standard (but maybe it isn't), where there is an osteopathic exam section on the SOAP/Admit/H&P note that has to be filled out. Of course if someone is having CP you can probably get away with T1-T5 somatic dysfunction.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did my 3rd year rotations at a small hospital with just a few DO residencies. They had a page on the patient admit forms for osteopathic exam but nobody so much as looked at it, let alone used it. We were supposed to have an hour or two a week of lectures but the vast majority of the time one or both were cancelled because the doctor was running late, busy, etc. Sometimes they'd have us get up and practice but not usually. All in all, not bad.

I know of a few AOA residencies around here, and I'd think this would be standard (but maybe it isn't), where there is an osteopathic exam section on the SOAP/Admit/H&P note that has to be filled out. Of course if someone is having CP you can probably get away with T1-T5 somatic dysfunction.

Just don't say TART--you'll piss of the brothers Nicholi

In residency we had a half hour lecture once a month to fulfill the AOA requirements and then we practiced for the other half hour.

I used OMT a lot in residency clinic on patients with headaches and back pain. That's about it. Even if you hate OMM, it's easy to deal with in residency. Don't worry about it.