On actual MCAT VR, did highlighting help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axp107

UCLA>> Italian Pryde
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For EK, I'm actually doing better without underlining or anything.

For Kaplan, I get owned when I don't highlight.. there isn't enough time to go around searching for detail

Since the real MCAT is probably somewhere in between, would it be beneficial to hightlight?

From people who've taken the MCAT already, what're you're personal experiences with highlighting.

Members don't see this ad.

Based on the CBT I took a few weeks ago.. highlighting is distracting. Maybe I'm just not used to it, but I prefer to rely on my understanding of the passage and how it's organized to quickly refer to details. And that's one of my strengths in VR, I suppose. Just my 2 cents; the one time I took the actual MCAT was with paper and pencil, and I didn't do any underlining/highlighting/circling/crossing out/mapping/anything.

I agree with road runner, highlighting is a waste of time and distracts you from obtain a broad understanding of the passage. Also i don't try to remember specific details; I just read the passage like anything else i read. If there is a question regarding a specific and I don't remember it, I just look for key words then reread the paragraph that it is in.

I think I only highlighted names and dates, but I agree with the above posters, it's kind of useless...

Yeah, if you really get the hang of verbal and understand how to "read" MCAT verbal passages, you will realize that highlighting is the biggest waste of time on the test. (Probably why they put it there.) If you actively read the passage, you will remember the general area of the details if needed.