on call pay for attendings?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notinkansas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that I left behind surgery for consulting, I have a need to gather some information about on call payment practices. Attendings: are you paid to take call? Does it include trauma call? And do any general surgeons take call at more than one hospital simultaenously- and if so how does the pay for that work? Dollar figures for call pay would be very helpful. You can PM me if you don't want to post here.

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I work at a small community hospital that is part of a large hospital group. I do get paid to take call (no trauma). I also get a stipend for any patient I admit/evaluate through the ER, even if I don't see the patient physically in the ER (i.e. I admit him at 2 AM from home, then see him on the floor later in the morning). I only take call at one hospital, but surgeons who cover call at other hospitals get a stipend for every hospital he/she is covering (at the community.non-teaching hospitals, at least).

I don't think this is a common scenario in academic practice. Usually call is required to have privledges at a teaching hospital.

At the community access hospital I will start at this summer, I will get a stipend for every 24 hour period I am on call. Plus, I get paid by the RVUs I generate and will be paid for any RVU I generate on call.