On recommendations...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supandrew

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! First post here, so bear with me...

I'm currently a undergraduate pre-pharmacy student looking to apply this very fall. I'm on schedule with every other part of my application, but one part I need some help on are the letters of recommendation!

I worked in a research lab this past summer, and am asking my PI for one; but don't have another resource to get one from...

I've performed fairly well in my classes but never really took the time getting to know the professors or having them acknowledge my existence (bad move?), and haven't held a payroll job since 2 years back. I haven't really kept in contact with my previous employer... So what would you guys recommend me try at in terms of getting another recommendation? Is it too late if I'm looking to submit my application with LOR in a month or two?

Members don't see this ad.

I would still ask professors of classes you did well in. You can provide them with a resume and perhaps a short personal statement explaining why you want to be a pharmacist, etc.

E-mail a professor, explain your situation, and ask if you can sit down with them to talk about potentially writing a letter. Never hurts to ask!

Do you have any other ECs - any pharmacy or volunteering experience? Could you ask a pharmacist / pharmacy manager / volunteer coordinator for an LoR?

Do you know any pharmacists personally that might be willing to write you an LoR?

Even though you didn't go out of your way to stand out, if you got high marks in one of their classes, your professors still would probably write you an LoR.

For all of my LoRs, I offered my resume, my personal statement, and a sit-down with me to discuss. One of my references asked for a grade transcript, which I gave... Neither took me up on the sit down, but I picked people that knew me. I think with these items, the prof should be able to write something cohesive for you, even if they don't know you all that well. After all, you're offering to do just that - let them get to know you before they write. ;)

Off-topic - To all the grammarians: Should it be "an" LoR or "a" LoR? In my head, I say "el-oh-are" rather than "letter of recommendation" so it looks wrong to write "a" versus "an."