On the topic of boozing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so i've started celebrating/drowning sorrows. last night had vodka night...but before that began, i had to warm up with a locally brewed pale ale. good times really, love pale ales. so the vodka night included a gimlet (lime juice, vodka, lime topper), dirty bird (grey goose olive juice), and the old stand-by redbull vodka. ahhh.....what a great night. woke up feeling great...until i tried to buy opening day tickets to our MLB team. Sold out in 25 minutes. Scalpers piss me off. Our team is THE WORST team in baseball, literally. who sells out the worst team in baseball??? whatever.

Members don't see this ad.

Kbrown,

Ebay my friend.. For bball I have had some amazing success... In LA (when I was there interviewing) my buddy and I wanted to catch a game.. Tried to get Lakers-Heat (Him Lakers, me Heat) but tix were $$$. So we caught a Clips game Face value of each tix was 150 we paid $50 per and got free parking to boot in the covered lot. (Value $25). Ended up with 3 tix ($450 plus parking $25) $475 value for $150..

Long post so I split it.. you know we have goals.

This week went to see Bulls-Nets.. Got 2 tix $95 face a peice and paid $91...

Both of these were in the lower bowl half court seats. in LA we were 12 rows up and in Chicago we were 19 rows up and the head of NBA refereeing sat right in front of us. My buddy who has satellitile recognized him from NBA TV.. real nice guy!

Members don't see this ad :)
EctopicFetus said:
Long post so I split it.. you know we have goals.

This week went to see Bulls-Nets.. Got 2 tix $95 face a peice and paid $91...

Both of these were in the lower bowl half court seats. in LA we were 12 rows up and in Chicago we were 19 rows up and the head of NBA refereeing sat right in front of us. My buddy who has satellitile recognized him from NBA TV.. real nice guy!

Thanks, already tried that. Kauffman stadium (KC Royals) doesn't have a single ticket that is priced over 24 bucks on normal game days, yet on ebay.com and stubhub.com i can't get a single ticket for less that 43 bucks standing room only. The seats that I normally sit in are going for 324 bones on stubhub.com, face value $22. I am just gonna get some beer, a grill, TV and some extra cash, show up on game day and see if I can haggle with a scalper five minutes after the game starts.

Back to EtOH:
Beer - Maritime Pacific Nightwatch, a nice dark ale. At Christmas their Jolly Roger is a joy, but more than 2 equals HICU (gotta love that term ,thanks!). Damn I miss Seattle for some things.
Booze - mixed, Bombay Dry (not the overwraught Sapphire) and tonic.
Booze - neat, any of a variey of Dutch gins straight from the freezer, or a good Polish vodka. Good thing about Vegas, there's a vodka bar where the bar is made of ice, frozen vodka, gotta love it.

as it gets closer to game day the price of tix should drop.. its the freakin royals for gods sake..(No offense)

Its the royals - I live in KC and you can get tix for 5 bux for descent seats to most games when u show up on gameday.

The drink of choice is Ketel One - Tonic. The only way to go when you binge drink is vodka (not that i condone binge drinking). It will save your A$$ the next day so you can do it all over again. I have come to this conclusion after drinking copious amounts of liquor and than "rating" the hangover the next day. The worst ever was a grade billion hangover suffered in Chicago after some douchebag convinced me to do shots of Grand Marnier all night. I'll be sure to employ these time honored tactics when I'm in Vegas on Mar. 24th.

Also, a great vodka for the money is Svedka - buy a handle and watch it magically disappear during match week.

Like those "two dudes" that are near every ER in the country "some douchebag" was out with me last night. Why oh why hath thou forsaken me, GM?

OUsooner said:
Its the royals - I live in KC and you can get tix for 5 bux for descent seats to most games when u show up on gameday.

The drink of choice is Ketel One - Tonic. The only way to go when you binge drink is vodka (not that i condone binge drinking). It will save your A$$ the next day so you can do it all over again. I have come to this conclusion after drinking copious amounts of liquor and than "rating" the hangover the next day. The worst ever was a grade billion hangover suffered in Chicago after some douchebag convinced me to do shots of Grand Marnier all night. I'll be sure to employ these time honored tactics when I'm in Vegas on Mar. 24th.

Also, a great vodka for the money is Svedka - buy a handle and watch it magically disappear during match week.

That EF for your help on craigslist.com.
OUSooner-I know it's the Royals but opening day in MLB around the country is a hot regardless of the teams ranking/standing.

Today is the day for IF people...finally we are closing the door on this chapter one inch at a time. It's like Chinese water torture!!!!

Kbrown,

Any luck scoring up those tix?

No prob for the help. I have a way of getting tix I want for a decent price most of the time.

2 of my favorties:

Space Coffee - a regular white russian with a double shot espresso.

Buffalo Piss - any mexican beer with not just lime, but habinero pepper as well.

Sorry wasn't paying enough attn - didnt realize he was lookin for opening day tix. To be honest even those can be had for very close to if not less than face value for a Royals game.

Maybe I should booze less.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't believe I let this thread get 3 pages long before weighing in...

Drink: Captain & Coke with a lime (and none of that $1 more/bottle tattoo crap that I drank on New Year's Eve)
Beer (if I'm having 1 or 2): Blue Moon with an orange wedge (easier to squeeze the juice out of a wedge than a slice)
Beer (if I'm having 3, 4, 5,...,n): Bud Light
Shot: Surfer on Acid (I forget what's in it, but it's gooooood)

Surfer on acid is jager, malibu, and pinapple. YUMMY!!!!!!!

Quality girl drink.. French Martini or blue dolphin! Chicks dig it!

I got into the sours for a while...
Midori Sour
Amaretto Sour
Whiskey Sour
But they made my teeth hurt.
But Kool-Aid and Jolly Ranchers are still good! Yummy

EEEEEW... I hate sour mix.. I will say outside of a margarita i havent had anything but beer this week. That will change on Thursday!

Yaaaager????????!!!!!

EctopicFetus said:
Quality girl drink.. French Martini or blue dolphin! Chicks dig it!

ok, i know french martini, but what's blue dolphin (and if you say a mammal i'll have to kick you)

Blue Dolphin...

1/2 oz Malibu® coconut rum
1/2 oz Captain Morgan® Original spiced rum
1/2 oz Blue Curacao liqueur
1/2 oz Stolichnaya® vodka
1 oz lemonade
1/2 oz Sprite® soda

sounds nice.... but since you know the actual proportions and stuff, how DO you make a french martini, since me and my friend have been getting all sorts of concoctions under then name but tasting really weird.

and on that thought...
time to go scramble for first year :luck:

French Martini (how I make 'em):
2 oz good vodka (I prefer Ketel®)
3/4 oz Chambord®
1 oz pineapple juice
shake over ice, strain into chilled martini glass
you can always adjust contents to your taste
And EF - thanks for the ®!

i was confused for a second... until i realized that i was asking about a french 75 martini not the french martini. not that there's anything wrong with the french martini it just tends to be a tad too sweet.

I have never heard of the french 75 martini and I bartended at a schnazzy place for a full yr.

Anyways.. Good luck with that.

EctopicFetus said:
I have never heard of the french 75 martini and I bartended at a schnazzy place for a full yr.
i reckon your schnazzy place wasnt ALL THAT SCHNAZZY! :cool:
french 75 is supposed to be champagne and cognac and maybe oj or some such thing.
but the proportions are a mystery to me

Well hotel bar.. We had Walker Blue and almost every other bit of booze. No one ever asked for it so I didnt bother to ever make one.

Also I went to drinkmixer.com to look and no luck. Maybe it was something a guy made up. I went on a cruise and the bartender offered up a cucumber martini to try, i had had them before but his was different it was awesome! Anyways good luck with the recipe. if I saw what color it was I might be able to emulate it, I sure could if I could taste it!

my bad. it wasnt supposed to be cognac. my friends lied. here goes:

FRENCH 75
- 1 1/2 oz Gin
- 2 oz Lemon Juice
- Champagne
- 2 tsp Superfine Sugar
- Garnish: Cherry
- Glassware: Collins Glass

History:
Named after the French 75-millimeter guns, this champagne cocktail was created during the first World War by American army officers. The original recipe called for gin, absinthe (now illegal in the United States) and calvados. Calvados is an apple brandy made in France. It is produced from an apple cider and aged in oak barrels for several years. The drink is often served in a small glass during the long meal to re-enhance the appetite.

interesting.. DOnt know that I would like it but interesting set of ingredients nonetheless..

Ah, a French 75! It's good, but it isn't a martini, it's a champagne cocktail. Granted, for the purists, a martini is gin and vermouth with an olive or 2, no vodka, no juices, nothing else. For the rest of us, it's anything served in a martini glass. :rolleyes:
Now on the subject of champagne cockatails, there's a ton of 'em. Don't get me started, I have exams this week! :laugh:
BTW, I used to bartend at a martini bar in undergrad...

irrka said:
my bad. it wasnt supposed to be cognac. my friends lied. here goes:

FRENCH 75
- 1 1/2 oz Gin
- 2 oz Lemon Juice
- Champagne
- 2 tsp Superfine Sugar
- Garnish: Cherry
- Glassware: Collins Glass

History:
Named after the French 75-millimeter guns, this champagne cocktail was created during the first World War by American army officers. The original recipe called for gin, absinthe (now illegal in the United States) and calvados. Calvados is an apple brandy made in France. It is produced from an apple cider and aged in oak barrels for several years. The drink is often served in a small glass during the long meal to re-enhance the appetite.

Gin? revisionist nonsense. Brandy (cognac, armagnac or calvados will do)

ah, gin AND brandy apparently.... i wonder if green food coloring and some nasty licorice-y stuff would substitute (grappa? yuck)

Hmmm.. Perrier Jouet tomorrow my friends.. Then liquor at night!

Sounds like some experienced barkeeps out there... if i like the whiskey sour and long island ice teas... love margaritas, cool with the 'tinis... any suggestion on a new drink... something high octane and not to sweet... ???

In an attempt to take over EVERY thread with EF's aid I wanted to bring this back to make a confession. None of my boys could go out tonight so I am sippin a 40 of OE to keep me sane.

Sweet work...My goal is usually to have the last say of the top 5-6 threads on the forum so I know Im doing my job.. # 85 for today!

Red Runner said:
Sounds like some experienced barkeeps out there... if i like the whiskey sour and long island ice teas... love margaritas, cool with the 'tinis... any suggestion on a new drink... something high octane and not to sweet... ???
Try a jameson and ginger. Or a 007 (oj 7up and stoli o)
Of course my main reason for posting this was to keep EF from having the whole top 5 threads

ah, so it's the last word goal, now we get to the REAL truth! mwaaaahahahaha

Damn you all! Bad student colforbin!! BAD!!

EctopicFetus said:
Damn you all! Bad student colforbin!! BAD!!
Hey one day Darth Vader allways has to pick up the emperor and toss him off the edge.

500+ posts my friend.. long way to go..

EctopicFetus said:
500+ posts my friend.. long way to go..
Yes but did you forget the assassins I dispatched for all SDNers getting their match results before me?

Ill keep an eye out! :) hope you get your #1 choice.. Fetus OUT!!

You too my friend.
Shenanigan's on you being out though. Your a pathologic poster. We have not seen the last of ya.

aha. last word by fetus thwarted.

Thanks for the drink suggestion even if you were just trying to beat ectopic into submission.

colforbinMD said:
Yes but did you forget the assassins I dispatched for all SDNers getting their match results before me?

I'll have a forty waiting for mine. Did you say they like OE?

ewells said:
I'll have a forty waiting for mine. Did you say they like OE?
Apparently too much. They overslept. Guess I gotta let you all live. :D

dudes.. my buddy EM @ u of R scored up a $200+ bottle of krug.. yumm!!! great day..

19 EMers from my school 3-4 people didnt match into EM... just the details.. fetus had a nice day! :)