On the Waiting lIst

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jones173

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

My name is Jonas and I just heard from Sackler and it ends up that I am on the active waiting list. This school has always been my first choice so now I am trying to do everything possible to get in. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should do to increase my chances? I really want to join you all in the Fall!!!

-Jonas

Members don't see this ad.

jones173 said:
Hey Everyone,

My name is Jonas and I just heard from Sackler and it ends up that I am on the active waiting list. This school has always been my first choice so now I am trying to do everything possible to get in. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should do to increase my chances? I really want to join you all in the Fall!!!

-Jonas

The only advice I can give is what I've seen other people do. When the adcom is reviewing the waitlist, the tie-breaker for them could be the applicants relative interest in the school. In order to show them that you ar interested, you should probably send a letter of intent, explaing to them why they are your first choice and essentially 'promising' to go there if taken off the waitlist. Also, sending updated transcripts, additional LOR's, an update on what you are doing now... these all show that you are engaged and continue to be interested in their school. I'm sure a phone call now and then wouldn't hurt either. Anyway, this is what I've seen other people do when in your situation, I hope it helps. Good luck and hope to see you in the fall :)

DocEG is absolutely right.
When I was interviewing at Ben Gurion/Columbia program, the admissions coordinator told us that last year they had certain amount of people wait listed(I do not remember the actuall number), and that all of them but one got into the school that year. She said, that the difference between the people who got in and the person who did not, was that the person who did not get in never demonstrated any interest in getting off of the wait list. He/she never called or e-mailed.
I know that this story comes from a different school, but I think the same logic should be used to deal with your situation.
Good Luck.