On Waitlist and Reapplying Help Pls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted838817

Hi Everyone,

I am currently waitlisted at 3 schools, the only IIs I got out of 17 schools.
I’m gearing up for a new cycle.
I graduated from a small liberal arts school.

I am currently on 3, going on 4 years out of college and working as a Research Associate in Boston and will hopefully have a new position as a Clinical Research Position (any other suggestions, like Medical Assistant instead?) in June.

I have an interesting Personal Statement/family backstory that people have commented on interviews.

I am seeking advice on whether I should retake the MCAT and schools I should apply to!!!

MCAT: 512 (88%) (CHEM:126/CARS:125/BIO:132/PSYCH:129)

GPA: 3.79(c)/3.79(s)

Massachusetts Resident

Activities:

1. 3 publications, not first author

2. Cancer Patient fitness Volunteer (non-clinical, 350 hr)

3. Translational Research Assistant in big cancer hosp (5700 hr), current job

4. Research Assistant in cancer in big academic hosp (1906 hr)

5. Awards (like dean's list, scholarships, and honors societies)

6. Summer Pediatric Oncology Education Program St. Jude and hosp. volunteer (515 hr)

7. Hospital volunteer (current, 220 hr)

8. Clinical Research Assistant Volunteer in NICU (300 hr)

9. Camp counselor for Kids w serious Illness volunteer (non-medial, 360 hr)

10. MSTP Summer Research Program (400 hr)

11. Alternative Spring break (hurricane disaster relief, and english teaching abroad) (200 hr)

12. Physician Shadowing (5 diff. MDs, rec.s from 3, 200 hr)

13. College biology tutor and teachers assistant for 3 years (330)
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I would like advice on these other ones:

1. Another Summer Research Program, but non-medical research(600 hr, I think I’ll remove this one but have REALLY strong rec associated with it, so??)

2. Didn’t have this last year but potentially will add another hospital I volunteered at for a year while in school.

3. Will replace one with my involvement in LGBTQ advocatcy and mentorship, but I’m just starting this now (April) so there won't be many hours.

4. Pre-health Club Executive Board at school (300 hr, didnt include last year)

5. Anything else I could be doing??

LOR from a 3 MDs, All of my PIs, 3 sci prof. 4 non-sci prof., and will add a rec from an organization I volunteer with this year.

School list:

UMass
OSU
Georgetown
Miami
George Washington
NYMC
Delaware
Dartmouth
Tufts
BU
Quinnapiac

I want to apply to ~20 schools any suggestions for MD or DO?
Or how you think my app was reviewed poorly this year?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

With 3 waitlists you have a good chance of receiving an acceptance by June. If not you could add these schools to your list:
Vermont
Albany
Einstein
Hofstra
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane

Members don't see this ad :)
Work on your interview skills
Apply early
Fix your weaknesses in your app.
There is no med school is Delaware
forget OSU
Go to the websites of the schools you got II from and read VERY carefully any instructions for reapplicants. Most failed applicants ignore this advice.

Consider these schools:
U VM
Case (maybe)
Mayo (maybe)
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
BU
MCW
Hofstra
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Emory
USC/Keck
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Oakland-B

U MA
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons. Start list with UNECOM and NYITCOM

Reactions: 1 user
My mom have been very sick for the past 3 years and she got cancer again, was on hospice for two of my interviews and passed away in march. This was very stressful, and at times my emotions got the best of me while I was in interviews and I teared up a bit.
UMass (II): MMI. I was very nervous. I dont think I did stellar.
OSU (II). Went really well they said in an email to me when I asked for a second vistit, explaining my situation with my mom.
Georgetown (II) I think it went well, I think I may have talked a bit too much on questions.

I also applied to:
Chicago-Pritzker
George Washington
Dartmouth
BU
Tufts
Einstein
UVM
Cornell
Emory
Jefferson
Mount Sinai
Rush
Temple
Quinnapiac

Work on your interview skills
Apply early
Fix your weaknesses in your app.
There is no med school is Delaware
forget OSU
Go to the websites of the schools you got II from and read VERY carefully any instructions for reapplicants. Most failed applicants ignore this advice.

Consider these schools:
U VM
Case (maybe)
Mayo (maybe)
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
BU
MCW
Hofstra
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Emory
USC/Keck
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Oakland-B

U MA
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons. Start list with UNECOM and NYITCOM
Thank you for your feedback. I did an internship at the MSTP program there.
From what you see, what do you think the weaknesses are. Do you suggest re-taking the MCAT?

With 3 waitlists you have a good chance of receiving an acceptance by June. If not you could add these schools to your list:
Vermont
Albany
Einstein
Hofstra
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your feedback. I did an internship at the MSTP program there.
From what you see, what do you think the weaknesses are. Do you suggest re-taking the MCAT?
But "there" I mean OSU.

You do not need to retake the MCAT. 512 is a good score.
While I agree my total score is good. It is very unbalanced though (CHEM:126/CARS:125/BIO:132/PSYCH:129), and I'm not sure if this is one of the things that held me back from interviews. On Georgeotown's website, their criteria are: "Section scores <125 are considered non-competitive." Theyre among the only schools who post section breakdowns. Do you still think I'm ok to keep this score?

While I agree my total score is good. It is very unbalanced though (CHEM:126/CARS:125/BIO:132/PSYCH:129), and I'm not sure if this is one of the things that held me back from interviews. On Georgeotown's website, their criteria are: "Section scores <125 are considered non-competitive." Theyre among the only schools who post section breakdowns. Do you still think I'm ok to keep this score?
Yes, if it mattered Georgetown would not have interviewed you so obviously it is not important. Your BIO score is very high AND there are a large number of biology related courses in medical school!