Once and for all...what residency-related expenses are tax-deductible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

Blade28

I know this topic, in its various forms, has been covered before. But I'm asking about everything here:

Interview costs (clothes, airfare, rental cars, hotels): I know this is the most controversial topic. Some say yes, it's considered a legit "job search." Others say not. Surely there has to be some sort of IRS consensus on this!

Moving expenses: what counts? Shipping your car? Shipping boxes to your new place? Airfare for yourself?

What if you fly over to the new city to check it out, look for housing, etc. after you know you're going there for residency?

Things you "need" to buy for residency...books, equipment, PDA, textbooks, parking pass, etc...tax-deductible, or not?

I'm assuming all the new stuff you need to buy when you relocate - furniture, appliances, kitchen items, etc. - isn't tax-deductible.

Am I missing anything else?

Edit: forgot to include interest on student loans (federal-only, or are private loans [e.g. MedLoans] included?)

Members don't see this ad.

You forgot tuition paid for the Spring 2005 semester. This may be deducted via Lifetime Learning credit.

I've heard some iffy things about deducting interview costs.

As for moving expenses, I intend to be very liberal. I will deduct tolls from driving on turnpikes. I fly to Boston in a few weeks to close on a condo. My plane flight costs about $250 and the hotel costs $150. I fully intend to deduct this too. Gas costs will be deducted. The oil change for driving 3000 miles during this whole process will also be deducted. Basically, any trip costs that are even remotely related to my moving to Boston next month will be deducted.

Just make sure you save your receipts.

Buying possessions for the new place...probably not tax-deductible. But I'm not 100% sure about this.

The IRS has explicit publications for both moving expenses and interview expenses. Moving expenses are quite liberal (almost everything except food on the road). Interview expenses can not be counted for new interns. I have cited the publication before, and I am not in the mood to look it up again--but www.irs.gov is a very user friendly site.

As far as things required for work, some things will come out pre-taxes (like parking) so you have never paid taxes on the money. Other work related expenses are deductible (mostly you have to prove it is really just for work--no plasma TV for watching videos of surgery in your den). Also, it must account for more than 2% of your income AND you have to be iteminzing deductions (meaning you are not taking a standard deduction). That means that work expenses are rarely deductible for residents. (Though, of note, you can deduct shoes for work, and that is approaching two percent of my income quite rapidly).

You don't have to itemize to take student loan interest, or moving expenses. I don't know if you need to for interview expenses, but it doesn't matter because YOU CAN'T TAKE THEM.

In the end, save receipts for everything and turbotax or your local tax prepper will tell you what the best thing to do is.

Excellent post, BeriBeri! Very complete!

Great advice! I'm going to save all my receipts for my recent trip to Atlanta, then (airfare, rental car)...and yes, I forgot about tuition paid between Jan-May 2005.

I also donated a lot of old clothing this year, so I'll have to hang on to those receipts. Too bad I can't count the money I'm paying for health insurance (premiums), since I'll only be paying up until around Jun-Jul (not 7.5% of my income, IIRC).

I am always confused as to the deductability of interview expenses. I know that the wording is sort of to the effect that the IRS only allows deductions for interviewing if it not your first job in the field and you are interviewing for a job in the same field. I must admit since I do not dabble in the drool of tax codes, that is the best I can remember. But can one make an argument for an MD/PhD, who is actually making a salary and entering an internship? I would suggest that is not such a stretch and seems a ligitimate claim to me?

That's a good question. I'm an MD/PhD, so I'm paid and file taxes. I know another MD/PhD who deducted all of her interview expenses. But she and her spouse itemize. I can't (don't have enough qualifying deductions), so I didn't deduct them. But I believe moving expenses are a separate deduction.

I think there's also some question as to whether or not a paid job during med school (research, etc.) would qualify as your "first job" in that field...thus making residency your "second job."

residency interview expenses are not dedcutible, even if you are an MD/PhD. Again, you are interviewing for your first job as an MD. The research assistant position while you are getting your PhD is not a job as an MD, and neither is the time you work when you already have your PhD and are still working on the MD. Deduct it if you want, but I wouldn't start my life out as a physician with such a poor sense of ethics, not to mention illegal behavior.

other people can correct me if I'm wrong because I'll admit I'm relatively new to doing my own taxes. I looked up the estimated tax form on the IRS website (form 1040-es), and to me it looks like interns always have it pretty good (at least the single ones) and don't really actually have to worry about itemizing deductions (again, correct me if I'm wrong). Here's what I mean:

standard intern salary: approx 40,000 annually
2005 gross income: 20,000 (because we're only working six months in 2005)
standard deduction is 5000 for single people
single non-dependents claim 2 personal exemptions, totaling 6020

so the total that you estimate tax from is 8980 (20k-5k-6020)
based on tax tables in form 1040-es, tax is 982 on that amount
lifetime learning credit is 2000, so you're credited up to $2000 in taxes---> 2005 tax is 0

do you agree? am I missing a lot here?

argh said:
2005 tax is 0

Hey argh, I totally agree. Just filed my taxes during my current intern year. Just got a total refund. $0 federal tax. But you will have state taxes (which obviously vary).

By the way, everyone who is filing for the first time shoud file the "Exemption from withholding" form. This way you actually get to earn interest on the money that you will eventually get back.

kas23 said:
You forgot tuition paid for the Spring 2005 semester. This may be deducted via Lifetime Learning credit.

????? what's this, and how much can you actually deduct? the fulll spring tuition??

Despite the controversy regarding deducting interview expenses for interns, I highly recommend deducting your wife/husband's interview expenses if they are going to stay employed in the same field and you file jointly. The IRS makes no distinction for WHY you moved, or for that matter, who files the tax return, so if you put your spouses name first on the 1040, the costs are theirs.

That being said, flights to the new city, housing searches, time off of work, etc, that your spouse incurs are deductible as interview expenses if the same type of job is obtained. We did it and it has worked out well (and I might add completely within tax law as well).

SLUsagar said:
????? what's this, and how much can you actually deduct? the fulll spring tuition??

Every year that you're at least a part-time student, you can earn Lifetime Learning credit towards your tax owed. I believe you can earn 20% of your school-related expenses (tuition, fees) up to $2000 (in other words, as long as you have at least $10,000 worth of expenses that year, you're good to go). It's a credit, so it directly offsets any taxes you may owe. For us graduating med students, this will be the last time we can claim this.

argh Why can single non-dependents claim 2 personal exemptions?? Shouldn't it just be 1 exemption (ie. yourself) ??

argh said:
other people can correct me if I'm wrong because I'll admit I'm relatively new to doing my own taxes. I looked up the estimated tax form on the IRS website (form 1040-es), and to me it looks like interns always have it pretty good (at least the single ones) and don't really actually have to worry about itemizing deductions (again, correct me if I'm wrong). Here's what I mean:

standard intern salary: approx 40,000 annually
2005 gross income: 20,000 (because we're only working six months in 2005)
standard deduction is 5000 for single people
single non-dependents claim 2 personal exemptions, totaling 6020

so the total that you estimate tax from is 8980 (20k-5k-6020)
based on tax tables in form 1040-es, tax is 982 on that amount
lifetime learning credit is 2000, so you're credited up to $2000 in taxes---> 2005 tax is 0

NinerNiner999 said:
That being said, flights to the new city, housing searches, time off of work, etc, that your spouse incurs are deductible as interview expenses if the same type of job is obtained. We did it and it has worked out well (and I might add completely within tax law as well).

According to IRS Publication 17 pre-move househunting expeses are NOT deductable.

Ed

notatriagenurse said:
argh Why can single non-dependents claim 2 personal exemptions?? Shouldn't it just be 1 exemption (ie. yourself) ??
dunno. that's just what the w-4 tells me. it's one for yourself, and one for being a single person with one job. don't ask me to explain anything else though regarding tax details--that's why I chose medicine.

Regarding the LLC--Lifetime Learning Credit--can we really claim it for the intern year? Yes, the school period was for the Spring Semester of 2005, but most of us had to pay tuition in December of 2004. I know my school required payment of tuition in mid-December. Thus, am I still able to claim the LLC even though payment for tuition was made in late December 2004?

fuegofrio17 said:
Regarding the LLC--Lifetime Learning Credit--can we really claim it for the intern year? Yes, the school period was for the Spring Semester of 2005, but most of us had to pay tuition in December of 2004. I know my school required payment of tuition in mid-December. Thus, am I still able to claim the LLC even though payment for tuition was made in late December 2004?

Since you paid your tuition in mid-December 2004 and your tuition statement states the bill was due in mid-December 2004, you can only get the LLC for the tax year of 2004, which the deadline for filing taxes ended 2 weeks ago I believe.

The only condition for you to be able to receive the LLC during your intern year is if your school had you pay your Spring Semester tuition in the year 2005 as written on your tuition statement so that you can claim this on your 2005 tax return.

You probably already received a tax form from your school stating the amount of tuition you have paid in 2004 which you can use for the LLC in 2004.

For those people whose spring semester 2005 tuition was not due until the year 2005 as stated on your tuition statement, you will receive a tax form from school a few months before April 2006 (2005 tax deadline) and you can use this for the 2005 LLC.

This will answer part of our question:

"The lifetime learning credit is based on qualified education expenses you pay for yourself, your spouse, or a dependent for whom you claim an exemption on your tax return. Generally, the credit is allowed for qualified education expenses paid in 2004 for an academic period beginning in 2004 or in the first 3 months of 2005.

For example, if you paid $1,500 in December 2004 for qualified tuition for the Spring 2005 semester beginning in January 2005, you may be able to use that $1,500 in figuring your 2004 credit."

So, this states that we MAY use the LLC towards our 2004 taxes for tuition paid for the 2005 Spring semester, it doesn't say we HAVE to. Here is the rest of the publication:

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p970/ch03.html#d0e4044

I believe exactly when you paid your 2005 tuition is just semantics. Is the IRS going to research exactly when everyone paid their bill for their tuition? Besides, the easiest way to figure this out is by looking at the form your school sends you for your taxes that tells you how much your paid in tuition, then simply read the year in big black bold numbers on the top of the form.

reading that biz about the LLC on the IRS website, I got the impression the date your account is credited with payment for tuition (be it by a check you wrote or a loan is paid directly to your account) is the critical piece of information. By that, I mean if all the credits to your account are on or before 12/31/04, you can claim credit for tax year '04 and not in '05. If you have credits on or after 1/1/05, you're eligible to claim it in '05. If you're graduating this year and paid everything off before the start of 2005, it just might be that you're SOL, which sucks.

"Paid with borrowed funds. You can claim a lifetime learning credit for qualified education expenses paid with the proceeds of a loan. You use the expenses to figure the lifetime learning credit for the year in which the expenses are paid, not the year in which the loan is repaid. Treat loan payments sent directly to the educational institution as paid on the date the institution credits the student's account."

I thought I would resurrect this thread because I have some questions regarding other medstudent/resident expenses.(Assume that any of these costs are not paid by residency programs).

a) costs for Step 2-PE/CS, and Step 3 exams
b) alumni association/professional association dues
c) costs to attend professional society conventions

Are these tax-deductible?

The quick and dirty for next year. The number next to the heading denotes the IRS publication that the info comes from. As was noted above, save all your receipts and make sure you do everything on the up and up. Don't try to save a few bucks on your taxes and end up screwing yourself.

Automobile expenses 917
Yes-The portion of automobile expenses attributable to driving between two different workplaces, or between your principal residence and a temporary job site.

No-The portion of automobile expenses incurred while commuting between your principal residence and a regular place of business.

Beepers and pagers 529
Yes- The rental fees paid by you for beepers and pagers used in connection with your employment

No- Any costs associated with the personal use of these items

Books/library 534
Yes- Depreciation expense on reference books purchase during the year. You can also depreciate your "library" the first year you put it into business use, based on the fair market value of the library on that date.

No- Any books not related to your profession

Cellular phones 534
Yes- The business portion of the cost of the cellular phone can be depreciation. Plus, you can deduct the business use portion of the monthly cellular phone bills.

No- Any portion of the cost of the cellular phone and the monthly cellular phone bills relating to personal use.

Computer purchases 534
Yes - Depreciation on the business use percent of any computer or peripheral purchased (1) as a requirement of your employment and (2) for the convenience of your employer.

No- Any computer and peripheral not specifically purchased as a requirement of employment or for the benefit of your employer.

Education, examinations and licenses 508
Yes - Expenses incurred that are required as part of your employment and maintain or improve your skills in your current profession.

No - Expenses incurred that prepare or qualify you for a new trade or business.

Equipment and instruments 534
Yes - Depreciation expense on any items purchased during the year, or based on the fair market value of equipment and instruments purchased in previous years but put into business use this year.

No - Equipment and instruments not associated with your profession.

Home office 587
Yes - The percentage of your home (based on square footage) used regularly and exclusively in connection with your profession. Great for renters since rent isn't otherwise deductible on your federal tax return.

No - The portion of your home used for any non-business purpose during the year, even if just for one day.

Insurance 529
Yes - Malpractice insurance and insurance on business assets

No - Health, life and disability insurance. Health insurance is deductible as an "adjustment to income" if you have net self-employment income.

Interest on school loans 535
Yes - Up to $2,500 of student loan interest paid during the year, subject to income limitations.

No - Interest on school loans in excess of $2,500 per year.

Job search 529
Yes - Expenses associated with finding a new position in your current trade or business.

No - Any expenses associated with finding your first job, or a job in a new trade or business.

Parking and tolls 463
Yes - Parking and tolls incurred in connection with traveling between two different workplaces or between your principal residence and a temporary job site.

No - Parking and tolls incurred in connection with commuting between your principal residence and a regular place of business.

Professional dues, journals and subscriptions 535
Yes - Fees paid to join professional organizations or to subscribe to their journals

No - Dues paid to business, social or athletic clubs.

Uniforms and cleaning 529
Yes - The cost of purchasing and cleaning clothing, such as lab coats and scrubs, required by your employer that isn't considered "everyday street clothing".

No - Items such as suits, shirts, shoes, ties and wristwatches because they fit the description of "everyday street clothing"

Excellent, but note that all of those deductions are only for people who itemize (which means you will need that to add up to more than the standard deduction for it to make sense). Unless you pay a lot of mortgage interest, you likely will not itemize. Moving and Student Loan Interest are an exception to this rule.

You took the words right out of my mouth, BeriBeri.

OSU03 said:
Insurance 529
Yes - Malpractice insurance and insurance on business assets

No - Health, life and disability insurance. Health insurance is deductible as an "adjustment to income" if you have net self-employment income.

Question for my accountant I know but what about for those of us who have or are soon to form a personal corporation related to our medical practice as independent contractors (more relevant in the EM world)?

Couldn't you justify the "corporation" insuring you the "CEO" or whatever against loss in the form of health, life and or disability? Or perhaps you could provide those things as "corporate benefits" and pay for them with pretax income from the corporation.

Perhaps there are some established EM guys out here who can tell me this.

I've been doing enough moonlighting this year that I wonder if I shouldn't do this a year ahead of formally entering the real world.