Once your accepted, are you guaranteed to be a doc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorFeelGood

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
once you're accepted into a med school, is that a like a guarantee that you're going to become a doctor? Or do a lot of med students drop??

Members don't see this ad.

If I recall my stats correctly, there is approximately <historically -- it will vary by individual schools> a 10% loss rate prior to the second year. However, of those who make it to the second year, there is approx a 98% graduation rate.

In short, there is no guarantee that you will become a Doc by simply getting in...you also have the fun & frolic of the board exams...all 3 steps.

For step 1 <both COMLEX & USMLE> there are set maximum attempts that you may take before passing. I believe there is a "national" limit of 6 attempts; but some states limit it to 3. Recently, the FSMB recommended that all states adopt a 3 or 4 try limit for all steps. That means, if you don't pass in 'X' number of tries, you'll never get a license in certain states. These limits may also apply to all 3 steps of both boards...of that, I am uncertain.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!

for more info on specific state requirements for USMLE check out www.fsmb.org click USMLE then click on step 3 and look for more info on specific state requirements.