1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Once your accepted, are you guaranteed to be a doc?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by DoctorFeelGood, Aug 27, 2000.

1. DoctorFeelGood

DoctorFeelGood Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

once you're accepted into a med school, is that a like a guarantee that you're going to become a doctor? Or do a lot of med students drop??

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. OldManDave

OldManDave Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If I recall my stats correctly, there is approximately <historically -- it will vary by individual schools> a 10% loss rate prior to the second year. However, of those who make it to the second year, there is approx a 98% graduation rate.

In short, there is no guarantee that you will become a Doc by simply getting in...you also have the fun & frolic of the board exams...all 3 steps.

For step 1 <both COMLEX & USMLE> there are set maximum attempts that you may take before passing. I believe there is a "national" limit of 6 attempts; but some states limit it to 3. Recently, the FSMB recommended that all states adopt a 3 or 4 try limit for all steps. That means, if you don't pass in 'X' number of tries, you'll never get a license in certain states. These limits may also apply to all 3 steps of both boards...of that, I am uncertain.

------------------
    'Old Man Dave'
    KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!

4. ms

ms Member
    10+ Year Member

for more info on specific state requirements for USMLE check out www.fsmb.org click USMLE then click on step 3 and look for more info on specific state requirements.