One Application, One Interview, One Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ben10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious,
is there anyone out there that only applied to one school and got in? if you did, what were the circumstances about you only appying to only one school? I'm just looking to see how often this happens.

Members don't see this ad.

2 applications, 2 interviews and 2 acceptances. I was going to do just 1 but I chickened out at the last second. I did not want all of my eggs in 1 basket had I blown the interview.

Plenty of people have done this. Mostly as ED applicants, I would assume.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I was going to do 1 too but I doubt myself alot so ended up = 2 apps, 2 interveiws, 2 acceptances.

i am actually doing that. but it's only because i have circumstances where i can't move out of the city i am living in, so it's either this school, or none at all! i am interviewing this week!:xf:

I am hoping to do that this year. I am attempting to get into the only school within commutable distance of my husband's (M.D/PhD) school which is 1 1/2 hours by car. While I desperately want to begin my PharmD education I don't want my marriage to be an expense of that goal.

1 application, 1 interview, now waiting

My original plan was to apply for this upcoming cycle to a bunch of schools. This school doesn't require lots of things that I'm still getting done so I decided to apply early. I hope I get in so I don't have to wait another year.

<- 9 applications, 4 or 5 interviews (can't remember), 9 acceptances. LOL I sooo over did the application process.

<- 9 applications, 4 or 5 interviews (can't remember), 9 acceptances. LOL I sooo over did the application process.

How did you get accepted into more schools than you interviewed? I thought all schools required an interview. :confused:

How did you get accepted into more schools than you interviewed? I thought all schools required an interview. :confused:

I had near perfect GPA and PCAT, plus few years of research experience with the #1 pharmaceutical company. Half of schools accepted without interviews, mostly the smaller/lower ranking back up schools. :D

that was my case back in 2005.

I didn't think I was competitive so I just applied to one and was going to spend the rest of the year strengthening my app.

Just curious,
is there anyone out there that only applied to one school and got in? if you did, what were the circumstances about you only appying to only one school? I'm just looking to see how often this happens.

One application, one interview, and one acceptance. I thought the school was a good match for me and a reasonable commute.

1 app, 1 interview, 1 acceptance.

I'm a junior, so I figured I'd just apply to see if I'd get in (and if I did get in, I'd leave early), and if not I would've stayed to finish my BS degree. Plus it's in state and a great school so why not :)

Members don't see this ad :)
1 application, 1 interview, now waiting for the answer. I didn't want to leave my home town so I only had one option.

HTH

Last edited:
I had near perfect GPA and PCAT, plus few years of research experience with the #1 pharmaceutical company. Half of schools accepted without interviews, mostly the smaller/lower ranking back up schools. :D

What schools that don't require interview ?

Nope, try again. It's a requirement of every single school to interview candidates. Do you mean you did phone interviews for some? That's still an interview.

i only applied to one school and was accepted. i got my bachelor's degree in biology in 2001 from MIT. i was only interested in accelerated programs, and MCPHS is right here, so it was a no brainer.

plus, i really like the school and i'm so psyched that a great school was right in my backyard.

Nope, try again. It's a requirement of every single school to interview candidates. Do you mean you did phone interviews for some? That's still an interview.

This guy claims to be a P3 at Ohio State. Did some schools not require interviews 3 years ago?

This guy claims to be a P3 at Ohio State. Did some schools not require interviews 3 years ago?

LIU didn't require interviews until the application for the Entering Class of Fall 2008. I'm guessing some of these schools he applied to weren't on PharmCAS, usually those don't require interviews.

I ended up with 3 applications, 2 interviews, 2 acceptances.

Here's the national data for 2005 (latest I could find):

http://www.pharmcas.org/docs/Offers04-05.pdf

4994 applicants submitted 1 application, 1634 received offers (~33% admit rate). This doesn't included non-pharmcas schools an applicant may have applied to.

2 applications, 2 interviews and 2 acceptances. I was going to do just 1 but I chickened out at the last second. I did not want all of my eggs in 1 basket had I blown the interview.

I did the same thing, had my app in for my first choice by the "early acceptance" date; I shuffled the other three in by their general deadlines. I was offered interviews at all but one college yet my acceptance at Pacific led me to decline to interview at the other universities. :D

Drake accepted w/o interview for sure, pretty sure Mercer and Ferris State also, 1 more back up school that I don't member. I only remember Drake for sure because was the first school to notify me of acceptance and got me pretty excited. Phone interviews? Possibly, but I don't remember doing those, but then again, with 9-10 applications out there, I was making lots of phone calls just to jump make sure everything was in order.

I only went to interview at at OSU, U of Michigan, Wayne State, Midwestern-chicago and Creighton. Which were the 2 first choices + 3 mid choices. I had picked 4 back up schools, which I had picked out based on the % of out of state students they accepted (so were mostly private schools I never heard of, and can't remember for sure now).

I started the application process hearing that pharmacy school was getting very competitive like med school. Several years before that, I had gone though the whole med school process, applied about 10 schools and only getting into Wayne state. So I did way over compensate in term of applications and PCAT preps when it came to pharmacy school. But it was not as competitive as I had heard.

LIU didn't require interviews until the application for the Entering Class of Fall 2008. I'm guessing some of these schools he applied to weren't on PharmCAS, usually those don't require interviews.

Not requiring interviews as in... back then, or right now? The schools in Texas don't do PharmCAS and they have been doing interviews.

--Garfield3d

Not requiring interviews as in... back then, or right now? The schools in Texas don't do PharmCAS and they have been doing interviews.

--Garfield3d

Not sure what's schools are requiring these days. Back in 2005, there was only about 3 dozen or so schools on the PharmCAS list, majority of the pharmacy schools didn't participate. But now most schools are on it.

So you guys are pretty lucky in this respect. It was a lot of headache filling 5 applications individually, all with individual statements, how they wanted the transcripts and recommendation letter, plus whatever the extra material for the 4-5 schools from Pharmcas.

I did that this year.

Only did it because I know I want to go to that school.

Too bad I got waitlisted :(

Not when I was applying. Yes, the more well known ones did all require interviews. The others I just got a letter saying I was accepted. I would like to think that my GPA and PCAT did the trick, but I bet quite a few students had those.

My main edge was having worked few years in research for Pfizer, through which got several patents plus publications with my name on it. One of my letter of recommendation came from Bruce Roth, the inventor of Lipitor, who happened to be the VP of my chemistry department and the boss of my boss. I'm not even going to guess the people who he rubbed elbows with.

1 application, 1 interview, now waiting

My original plan was to apply for this upcoming cycle to a bunch of schools. This school doesn't require lots of things that I'm still getting done so I decided to apply early. I hope I get in so I don't have to wait another year.

Ooh, I get to change this.

One application, one interview, one acceptance :thumbup:

I only applied to one school as well and was accepted. There was only one school I could attend without having to move, which was not an option for me. If this year didn't happen I would have just tried again next year.

One school, one app, one acceptance to LECOM-B c/o 2013. my top choice too!!

Congrats!!! What school will you be attending?

USN. Now I have to break the news to my parents. I wasn't ready to apply to my local school this year so I will be moving away with their only grandchild. I think they could deal with it better had I applied to the local school and been rejected but since I never even tried, they aren't going to be happy.

University of Washington

One app, one interview and one acceptance :D

I applied only to the University of Iowa, had an interview end of Feb, now am waiting. I am married and own my home, and live within 30 min of the school. I have a bachelors degree in 2006 in bio and gen science, minor in spanish, 3 years retail pharmacy work at Sam's Club, and actually just received pharmacy tech of the year for the entire company. Got LORs from 2 pharmacists and my District Manager, had a 3.25 gpa from an extremely difficult private college, only bad thing is I didn't do well on the PCAT, I scored a 73 composite (I did bad on the verbal and math sections).

I thought I saw posts from some that did get accepted to University of Michigan without interviews last year, but I don't think that's the case for this year. Ole Miss starts to have the interview incorporated into the application process beginning this year as well. I also heard that Midwestern CCP started the group interview process last year, but before that they only had a Mandatory Campus Visit which didn't have the interview component.

I did one application, one interview, and got one acceptance. I had looked at applying to other schools, but I didn't have time to take the additional pre-reqs for them for this application cycle.

To help increase my chances of getting in, though, I tried to do as much as possible. I took the PCAT twice, even though I did pretty well the first time. However, I didn't realize how much calculus would be on the test, so the first time my math score was a little low. I volunteered, both to gain experience and assure the interviewers (any myself, for that matter) that I knew what I was getting into. I also researched pharmacy online and found out as much about the school as possible.

If I hadn't gotten in this time, I would have taken more pre-reqs next year and applied again next year to multiple schools. However, I'm really happy to have gotten in, especially since it was my first choice!

This year, 1 application, 1 interview, 1 acceptance (see left). Was through early decision. Last year I applied to way more. I just got lucky this time.

Last edited:
USN. Now I have to break the news to my parents. I wasn't ready to apply to my local school this year so I will be moving away with their only grandchild. I think they could deal with it better had I applied to the local school and been rejected but since I never even tried, they aren't going to be happy.

Congrats!!!! What city is USN in? How far is it away from your hometown? Did you take the Jan PCAT for the FIRST TIME? I did and I just got 2 interviews....how did you get your acceptance so quickly?

I know someone that left their child with their parents while going to med school. You should leave your child with your parents...LESS work for you to deal with! ;) I am sure your parents won't mind. :)

This year, 1 application, 1 interview, 1 acceptance (see right). Was through early decision. Last year I applied to way more. I just got lucky this time.

I should have just apply to Mercer and South. I applied to 5 schools total but am only interested in TWO OF THEM--Mercer and South. I already withdrawn from one...I am going to withdraw from the other two soon.

So far 2 applications (3 withdraws), 2 interview invites, waiting for results...(took the Jan PCAT for the first time so its taking me longer then the average Joe...:rolleyes:)

Congrats!!!! What city is USN in? How far is it away from your hometown? Did you take the Jan PCAT for the FIRST TIME? I did and I just got 2 interviews....how did you get your acceptance so quickly?

I know someone that left their child with their parents while going to med school. You should leave your child with your parents...LESS work for you to deal with! ;) I am sure your parents won't mind. :)

SHC1984, this may seem like a crazy idea, but people tend to have kids because they want to raise them, not give them to their parents to raise. ;) And as much as people enjoy being parents, after they are done raising their own kids, they are often content just to be grandparents (it's apparently more fun than being a parent, anyway).

Last edited:
SHC1984, this may seem like a crazy idea, but people tend to have kids because they want to raise them, not give them to their parents to raise. ;) And as much as people enjoy being parents, after they are done raising their own kids, they are often content just to be grandparents (it's apparently more fun than being a parent, anyway).

LOL...true. I mean thats aways an option. I personally know someone that let her parents take care of her son while she was in med school for 4 years...then she took her son back when she finished. It was only for 4 years...I don't mean forever. LOL...

I will be in Henderson, Nevada. It is about five hours from where I am now. I did take the January PCAT for the first time but USN is a non-PCAT school this year. They didn't have to wait on my scores so I guess that is why I'm now an accepted pharmacy student and not still waiting. Not one school even saw my scores which is kind of a bummer because I did really well.

1 app, 1 interview, 1 acceptance last month (mwu-cpg). I didn't really want to move and was sure I'd get in.

I will be in Henderson, Nevada. It is about five hours from where I am now. I did take the January PCAT for the first time but USN is a non-PCAT school this year. They didn't have to wait on my scores so I guess that is why I'm now an accepted pharmacy student and not still waiting. Not one school even saw my scores which is kind of a bummer because I did really well.

I see. I wanted to apply to non-Pcat CA schools but they all had very early deadlines! If I don't get into the two schools I am waiting for this year then I will definetly apply to CA schools next year. Yeah it sucks that schools didn't get to see your scores, but at least you are in! :thumbup: Whats your GPA if you don't mind me asking...and do you have a degree?? I am not sure what the GPA requirement is for non-PCAT schools but I am sure they are very high.

I see. I wanted to apply to non-Pcat CA schools but they all had very early deadlines! If I don't get into the two schools I am waiting for this year then I will definetly apply to CA schools next year. Yeah it sucks that schools didn't get to see your scores, but at least you are in! :thumbup: Whats your GPA if you don't mind me asking...and do you have a degree?? I am not sure what the GPA requirement is for non-PCAT schools but I am sure they are very high.

My GPA for USN is 4.0 but that is on academic forgiveness. I'm not quite sure what my real GPA is but I think it is only a 3.1 or so because I was a lazy slacker back in the day. Plus I had the brilliant idea of taking advantage of my school's grade replacement policy by getting an F and retaking a class if I thought I was going to get a C. I'm not quite sure what I was thinking there but I have 5 Fs calculated into my GPA for places that don't replace grades on retakes. And yes I have a degree. I'm going to graduate from pharmacy school exactly 20 years after I got my first degree.

One application, one interview, one acceptance! :soexcited: OU was THE only school I wanted to go to, so when the time came, I only applied there!

This was my situation too. Minnesota was the only school I wanted in the area, and I can't afford out of state tuition. Plus I LOVE Minneapolis!

One application, one interview, one acceptance! USN!

One application, one interview, one acceptance! CNCP!!!

Lucky #13!!! :):thumbup::p:D:cool: