One bad grade prevent from getting into med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panicatthedisco

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
come on man, you are sweating the small stuff way too much. i had 2 C's, 3 W's, (3.6 overall) and i have been accepted to numerous schools. and i know people with even worse grades who have been accepted. there is so much more that goes into being a good applicant. extra curriculars, community involvement, medical related volunteering, research, life experiences, motivations for medicine, helping others. your dreams of a career in medicine are far from over. stay strong, good luck.

panicatthedisco said:
Hi. The first semester of gen chem I received a B-, however, in gen chem II my grade increased to an A-. I have otherwise been receiving A/A- grades. If I continue to receive good grades will med school look down upon my bad grade first semester?
Thanks

whats wrong with a B- ?? you really think that would keep you out of med school?

actually if you get anything lower than an A- in a class worth anything more than 2 credits, med schools will filter you out of their applicant pool. I believe this is also true for osteopathic school. On the bright side, there is always law school.

:laugh: I opened this thread thinking it was going to be a D or an F. A B- isn't the absolute best, but the grade itself won't keep you from getting into med school

I almost peed in my pants from laughing.

B- isn't bad.

panicatthedisco said:
Hi. I received a B- in gen chem I, however, second semester gen chem II I received an A-. My other grades have been pretty good, but I still have orgo and physics to look forward to. Will med school look down upon my B-?
Thanks

You might want to try caribbean med schools or just give up medicine. US Med schools wont let you in with anything under B. Having one B- doesnt cut it... Sorry. Also, if you dont have 1000 hrs of clinical experience and published several papers, dont even think of applying. I also think they recently added a requirement that you have to be an olympic athlete of some sort in order to get an interview. Good luck!

hadokenny said:
You might want to try caribbean med schools or just give up medicine. US Med schools wont let you in with anything under B. Having one B- doesnt cut it Sorry. Also, if you dont have 1000 hrs of clinical experience and published several papers, dont even think of applying. I also think they recently added a requirement that you have to be an olympic athlete of some sort in order to get an interview. Good luck!
You did'nt make it clear. It's Nature/Science papers. Nothing like Molecular Cell or Devo Cell

B-??? How dare you? There are more than enough applicants with all round A-plusses that medical schools essentially have no room for students with anything less. A B-minus proves to the ADCOMS that you're not perfect. And only perfect applicants get accepted, remember. If I were you, I would be looking at alternative careers like nursing, physician's assistant or even law. The only way a B- can get you into medical school is if you have certain achievements under your belt, say, a nobel prize, you found a vaccine for cancer or HIV, climbed Mt. Everest in record time, or run a mile in 60 seconds. Dude, goodluck.

panicatthedisco said:
Hi. I received a B- in gen chem I, however, second semester gen chem II I received an A-. My other grades have been pretty good, but I still have orgo and physics to look forward to. Will med school look down upon my B-?
Thanks

I'd be worried if I found out my Doctor ever received a B- and was allowed to practice. Have you looked into nursing?

Drop out of college. You are done.

NonTradMed said:
Drop out of college. You are done.

Well the OP listens to Panic at the Disco, so (s)he is already halfway there :p

panicatthedisco said:
Thanks

Ahhh, SDN.

A B- is a B anyway for amcas. If you think a B- is bad wait till some upper level courses.

panicatthedisco said:
Thanks

I would retake both for the A.

KingTutATL said:
A B- is a B anyway for amcas. If you think a B- is bad wait till some upper level courses.

Are you sure about that? I thought amcas used the +/- scale.