One bad semester due to personal issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

aChocoLee

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Freshman year I did well in my classes (all A/A- and 1 B+), however this semester I did very poorly due to mental/emotional issues along with living alone for the first time which led to a lack of motivation and some other problems I won't get into, and ended up with 1 A, 1 B+, 1 C- (genetics), and 1 pass (orgo 2). I am also expecting to get a B+ and a B (orgo lab), which would bring my oGPA down to maybe a 3.5 or 3.6 and my sGPA to a 3.26. (The grades without a class indicated are not pre recs, although genetics also isn't a pre-rec.)

This served as a very big wake up call and made me realize that I should stop dwelling so much on my problems and focus on school again. If I were to do well (AA 24 or 25+) on the DAT and go back to doing as well or similar to how I did freshman year, how much would this semester harm my chances?

I am aware that schools look at the application holistically, and I also have volunteer and shadowing hours. Furthermore, I believe there is a section on the application where I can explain some circumstances which led to this bad semester.
 
Freshman year I did well in my classes (all A/A- and 1 B+), however this semester I did very poorly due to mental/emotional issues along with living alone for the first time which led to a lack of motivation and some other problems I won't get into, and ended up with 1 A, 1 B+, 1 C- (genetics), and 1 pass (orgo 2). I am also expecting to get a B+ and a B (orgo lab), which would bring my oGPA down to maybe a 3.5 or 3.6 and my sGPA to a 3.26. (The grades without a class indicated are not pre recs, although genetics also isn't a pre-rec.)

This served as a very big wake up call and made me realize that I should stop dwelling so much on my problems and focus on school again. If I were to do well (AA 24 or 25+) on the DAT and go back to doing as well or similar to how I did freshman year, how much would this semester harm my chances?

I am aware that schools look at the application holistically, and I also have volunteer and shadowing hours. Furthermore, I believe there is a section on the application where I can explain some circumstances which led to this bad semester.
First, you gotta chill out - you have plenty of time to right the ship. And second, yes you are totally fine, I got into dental school with a 3.15 overall and 3.1 sGPA.

Do your best in the future with your classes, do well on the DAT, shadow and volunteer and you'll be okay. Good luck!
 
Freshman year I did well in my classes (all A/A- and 1 B+), however this semester I did very poorly due to mental/emotional issues along with living alone for the first time which led to a lack of motivation and some other problems I won't get into, and ended up with 1 A, 1 B+, 1 C- (genetics), and 1 pass (orgo 2). I am also expecting to get a B+ and a B (orgo lab), which would bring my oGPA down to maybe a 3.5 or 3.6 and my sGPA to a 3.26. (The grades without a class indicated are not pre recs, although genetics also isn't a pre-rec.)

This served as a very big wake up call and made me realize that I should stop dwelling so much on my problems and focus on school again. If I were to do well (AA 24 or 25+) on the DAT and go back to doing as well or similar to how I did freshman year, how much would this semester harm my chances?

I am aware that schools look at the application holistically, and I also have volunteer and shadowing hours. Furthermore, I believe there is a section on the application where I can explain some circumstances which led to this bad semester.
Don't be so hard on yourself, you realised what was happening before it was too late. I am sorry you had those problems, but you have moved passed them and focusing on your schoolwork again. Keep your GPA as high as possible, get a high DAT score and you will be fine.

Wishing you the best..Nancy