One bad semester due to personal issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aChocoLee

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Freshman year I did well in my classes (all A/A- and 1 B+), however this semester I did very poorly due to mental/emotional issues along with living alone for the first time which led to a lack of motivation and some other problems I won't get into, and ended up with 1 A, 1 B+, 1 C- (genetics), and 1 pass (orgo 2). I am also expecting to get a B+ and a B (orgo lab), which would bring my oGPA down to maybe a 3.5 or 3.6 and my sGPA to a 3.26. (The grades without a class indicated are not pre recs, although genetics also isn't a pre-rec.)

This served as a very big wake up call and made me realize that I should stop dwelling so much on my problems and focus on school again. If I were to do well (AA 24 or 25+) on the DAT and go back to doing as well or similar to how I did freshman year, how much would this semester harm my chances?

I am aware that schools look at the application holistically, and I also have volunteer and shadowing hours. Furthermore, I believe there is a section on the application where I can explain some circumstances which led to this bad semester.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Freshman year I did well in my classes (all A/A- and 1 B+), however this semester I did very poorly due to mental/emotional issues along with living alone for the first time which led to a lack of motivation and some other problems I won't get into, and ended up with 1 A, 1 B+, 1 C- (genetics), and 1 pass (orgo 2). I am also expecting to get a B+ and a B (orgo lab), which would bring my oGPA down to maybe a 3.5 or 3.6 and my sGPA to a 3.26. (The grades without a class indicated are not pre recs, although genetics also isn't a pre-rec.)

This served as a very big wake up call and made me realize that I should stop dwelling so much on my problems and focus on school again. If I were to do well (AA 24 or 25+) on the DAT and go back to doing as well or similar to how I did freshman year, how much would this semester harm my chances?

I am aware that schools look at the application holistically, and I also have volunteer and shadowing hours. Furthermore, I believe there is a section on the application where I can explain some circumstances which led to this bad semester.
First, you gotta chill out - you have plenty of time to right the ship. And second, yes you are totally fine, I got into dental school with a 3.15 overall and 3.1 sGPA.

Do your best in the future with your classes, do well on the DAT, shadow and volunteer and you'll be okay. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users

Don't be so hard on yourself, you realised what was happening before it was too late. I am sorry you had those problems, but you have moved passed them and focusing on your schoolwork again. Keep your GPA as high as possible, get a high DAT score and you will be fine.

Wishing you the best..Nancy