This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jgad1

Reaction score
Hello SDN. I am about to start my second year of undergraduate. When I started undergrad, I did not know if I wanted to be a doctor or not. It was an idea that I developed about half way through my first semester. I still wasn't entirely sure about it, so I moved back home the second semester and did several certification courses to allow me to get good clinical exposure. In one semester I obtained a CNA, Patient Care Technician (PCT), EKG Technician, and Phlebotomy certification. With these, I have been working in the emergency room at the hospital near my home. I have also used this tome to develop several good relationships with several doctors, and they have allowed me to shadow as well. As I stand right now, I have 300+ clinical hours, 100+ shadowing hours, and 40 hours in the OR.

I believe that I have been relatively productive with this time. However, during obtaining these certifications and getting this clinical experience, I took my Biology 2 class through the local community college so that I would not fall too far behind (it was recommended by my pre-med advisor because of how sequential the pre-reqs for upper level BIOL classes are). I am returning to the University this upcomming fall and will not take any more classes through a community college. I will also be taking many upper level biology and chemistry courses during the rest of my undergrad.

I was wondering if this one medical school pre-req that I took at a community college will hurt me in the future. Any insight here would be great and greatly appreciated. Thank you.

(Posted this on a different thread but it didn't get much traction).

Members don't see this ad.

Are you kidding? I took my first two years at community college because I couldn't afford to go to University. You're in good shape!

Reactions: 1 user
I think you're fine because you will be taking upper division biology at your university too. Don't sweat it!