One company or many companies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

islandboy401

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it look better on your application to pharmacy school if:

1. You work in one specific pharmacy (as a clerk, tech, etc) for a prolonged period of time (2 years or more).

2. You work in a variety of different pharmacies (CVS, Walgreens, etc) and also have volunteering experience.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm guessing one company and volunteer experience. I think if you work for a bunch of different companies it doesn't say much about your ability to commit to something. If they were looking for variety of different settings working for a hospital pharmacy than a retailer would be better, but I don't see how working for a bunch of retailers would be better. With that said if you have pharmacy experience your lucky because believe me its not something you should take for granted. I called like every single pharmacy in the phone book and none had openings.:(

You should definitely look into staying at one place because this would show commitment, whereas flying though 3-4 different jobs in less than a year would look bad for anyone, especially someone applying to a professional school. Oh, and volunteering is never a bad idea :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Retail is retail. It doesn't matter if you work for Cvs, Walgreens, Longs, Rite Aid, whatever its basically the same. I don't think they'll really care how many different companies you've worked for either. I wouldn't switch jobs unless you are unhappy. I would consider independant pharmacy, retail chains, and hospital to be three different experiences though.

I worked at (2) hospitals and volunteered at (2) sites - it wasn't an issue...

Unless you only stay at a site for 1 or 2 weeks - that would not be good

~above~