One company or many companies

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by islandboy401, May 10, 2008.

1. islandboy401

Pre-Pharmacy
    Does it look better on your application to pharmacy school if:

1. You work in one specific pharmacy (as a clerk, tech, etc) for a prolonged period of time (2 years or more).

2. You work in a variety of different pharmacies (CVS, Walgreens, etc) and also have volunteering experience.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Luol Deng Fan

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I'm guessing one company and volunteer experience. I think if you work for a bunch of different companies it doesn't say much about your ability to commit to something. If they were looking for variety of different settings working for a hospital pharmacy than a retailer would be better, but I don't see how working for a bunch of retailers would be better. With that said if you have pharmacy experience your lucky because believe me its not something you should take for granted. I called like every single pharmacy in the phone book and none had openings.:(

4. RxWildcat

RxWildcat Julius Randle BEASTMODE!
    Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacist
    You should definitely look into staying at one place because this would show commitment, whereas flying though 3-4 different jobs in less than a year would look bad for anyone, especially someone applying to a professional school. Oh, and volunteering is never a bad idea :D

5. laimyours

laimyours like my hat?

Pharmacist
    Retail is retail. It doesn't matter if you work for Cvs, Walgreens, Longs, Rite Aid, whatever its basically the same. I don't think they'll really care how many different companies you've worked for either. I wouldn't switch jobs unless you are unhappy. I would consider independant pharmacy, retail chains, and hospital to be three different experiences though.

6. aboveliquidice

aboveliquidice No sacrifice - No victory
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacist
    I worked at (2) hospitals and volunteered at (2) sites - it wasn't an issue...

Unless you only stay at a site for 1 or 2 weeks - that would not be good

~above~