SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

One "F" on my transcript

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by AnArabiaNight, May 30, 2008.

1. AnArabiaNight

AnArabiaNight 2+ Year Member

May 30, 2008
    Okay so when I was in High School was put in a college class that I didn't want to be in by my principle that didn't like me. To make a long story short, I protest the class and didn't go and wound up getting an "F". I guess in retrospect it was kind of stupid of me but I was 16. I've since repeated the class at a different college when I was actually a college student and all my grades are As and Bs.

My questions is: is there a way for me to get that F removed from my transcript or do I even have to put in college classes I took in high school (I think I do). I just think its going to look bad seeing a bunch of As and Bs and then a big fat stinkin F. Any advice on what I can do?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. moe_4eva

moe_4eva doprepd on my haed 2+ Year Member

Jun 16, 2006
    One F is really not that big of a deal, especially if you've since retaken the class. Most schools will average out the F and the A or B that you subsequently received, and will also see the upward trend. Don't let it ruin your life.
  4. punkindrublic

punkindrublic calls shenanigans 7+ Year Member

Feb 15, 2006
    You have to put EVERY college class you've ever taken. Trust me, if you don't put it in there, and AMCAS finds it, it'll look like you're trying to hide it. At that point, you've not only got an F on your transcript, but you also look dishonest. That right there will get your app tossed in the trash. You just gotta man up and deal with it. That said, I had an F on my transcript from my first semester, and none of my interviewers really cared. It happens, and they know it. Just don't compound the issue by lying.

However, if you want to apply DO, don't worry about it, the F will be dropped automatically and replaced with the new grade.
  5. LikeClockWork

LikeClockWork Guest

Jul 23, 2007
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure there's not a lot you could do to get it removed, but you've got a much better explanation for it than most other people who have F's. The year you took a class is also included on the transcript, so the adcoms will be able to see that it was a few years before you started college. If anyone asks you can just tell them what happened (except I'd leave out the whole principal-out-to-get-me part ;)).
  6. Nerve

Nerve I believe in Science 2+ Year Member

May 18, 2008
    England & California
    Good advice; only Osteopathic Schools will "replace" the grade. Fact is, the F will average into the u-GPA for Allopathic.

OP: Do yourself a favor and don't worry about it. Just keep your grades up and be prepared to explain the grade during an interview.
  7. BluePhoenix

BluePhoenix 5+ Year Member

Mar 17, 2007
    I don't know if I'd say not wanting to take a course so you protested and didn't go is really that great of an explanation. You might say you weren't ready for such a course or something, but saying didn't want to take it so you didn't go is kinda like saying you threw a tantrum for a semester. We all have to do things we don't want to do, and protesting it by not doing it doesn't really show much maturity. Sounds like he learned from it, yes you have to put it does, averaged over all your coursework, it won't make that much of a difference and they'll see when you took it and probably just say you were an immature kid or not ready for it.
  8. jelly476

jelly476 7+ Year Member

Feb 10, 2008
    you also might want to mention it in your personal statement. if you address is proactively, the might not even feel the need to bring it up in the interview.
  9. Mandarin142

Mandarin142 2+ Year Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Okay, its not a big deal to have lousy high school college course grades. I have three myself and I know that a great many pre-meds have the same.

But, I think your "excuse" is lame. Whenever you end up explaining the situation to an interviewer etc... do yourself a favor and tell the truth. 99% of the time, the truth is "I was young and inexperienced and not prepared to take a college course" -- but blaming your principle for enrolling you in a college course and then "protesting" is a little bit out there....
  10. Doctor J

Doctor J Libelous. 10+ Year Member

Aug 27, 2007
    Take the course over again and get an A in it. AMCAS requires you to place the most recent grade on the transcript. You might not even need to mention it in your AMCAS application.
  11. Mandarin142

Mandarin142 2+ Year Member

Feb 24, 2007

Thats false, you need to mention ALL courses including retakes, withdraws, credit only, etc...
  12. wannabedocta

wannabedocta 7+ Year Member

Feb 17, 2008
    I have a similar issue. The only C I ever received, in my life, lol, was from an anatomy course I took for fun at a community college during HS. It's dropping my AMCAS GPA by almost .1