One interview, one shot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idkmyname

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I screwed up pretty bad and don't look very good on paper (failed step 2 and low GPA the first 2 years). I applied to over 80 peds programs (DO and MD) and only received one interview for next month. I realize that my chances of matching are slim to none, but I want to give it a shot anyway. I have set up an away rotation to begin right after the interview, hoping that they will see that my clinical skills are a lot better than my board scores. I know that I have to wow them during the interview and explain my downfalls well without making excuses. Does anyone have advice for anything else I can do to impress the program and show them that I am truly interested? It really is a great peds program and I'd want to go there even if I had received more interviews. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Do what you think it is important and have a good backup plan.

An audition rotation is a great step. Also make sure you'll have a passing CK prior to rank lists.

Probably too late at this point for you but maybe for someone else reading this thread, I did an audition rotation early in 4th year and it went great. I then asked one of the attendings there for a LOR. Everyone there on my interview day commented about it. I feel it is one of the reasons they (seem to) be willing to rank me highly.

Hate to say it but it shouldn't surprise you at this point: backup plan. Family doctors treat kids too and would be a little less competitive to match into. Gap year application padding, etc

Update: I went to the audition rotation and pretty much rocked it. I got amazing letters from multiple physicians. The PD said that the feedback from faculty boosted me way up on the rank list. Long story short...I MATCHED! :cool: it was an expensive, stressful process but I am so glad I made it out alive!

Reactions: 12 users
congratulations! sounds like you have the right attitude