One last question about Loupes-

Started by USUaggie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

USUaggie

bringing ugly back
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've just spent the last couple of hours searching through old threads about loupes to get a good idea of the pros/cons of each brand. I remember as a freshman that one of the reps (I think it was orascopic) was trying to sell me on the "high def" lenses that allowed a more versatile working distance. When I tried them on I had to agree that it seemed like I could move my hands a few inches away and back and they stayed in focus. I asked him what the difference was in the loupes that allowed for this and he said it had to do with how the lens was ground or something like that. I think this upgrade was an extra $100ish.
Anyway - does anyone use these? It seems like it would be worth it but I was just looking for some feedback. Thanks
 
I've just spent the last couple of hours searching through old threads about loupes to get a good idea of the pros/cons of each brand. I remember as a freshman that one of the reps (I think it was orascopic) was trying to sell me on the "high def" lenses that allowed a more versatile working distance. When I tried them on I had to agree that it seemed like I could move my hands a few inches away and back and they stayed in focus. I asked him what the difference was in the loupes that allowed for this and he said it had to do with how the lens was ground or something like that. I think this upgrade was an extra $100ish.
Anyway - does anyone use these? It seems like it would be worth it but I was just looking for some feedback. Thanks

They sold me on the hi res which were actually about $200 more. Besides the difference in resolution, I just liked the fact that it made the loupes lighter and also the elliptical shape allowed more lens space above the telescope to look out of.

I guess with all this said, "worth" is relative.

gl