One month to do something meaningful

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoops90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to apply to MD and DO schools, and I want to specialize in Family Medicine. I have already planned to do clinical research where I live, be a home health volunteer, and volunteer for the Red Cross. I have shadowing experience, and I also plan to shadow an osteopathic physician who specializes in Family Medicine and practices in a rural area. Also, I am a member of AED, and I am trying to start my own student organization that promotes primary care. I have nothing planned yet for January 2013 (my school has a one-month interim term). I just want to do something meaningful. Maybe I could start some kind of project in a rural and/or under-served area of the United States. I was thinking about starting a spiritual wellness clinic. Does the American Academy of Family Physicians have any projects that a pre-med student can participate in? Does anyone have any ideas about what I could do on a national level during January 2013?

Members don't see this ad.

I am going to apply to MD and DO schools, and I want to specialize in Family Medicine. I have already planned to do clinical research where I live, be a home health volunteer, and volunteer for the Red Cross. I have shadowing experience, and I also plan to shadow an osteopathic physician who specializes in Family Medicine and practices in a rural area. Also, I am a member of AED, and I am trying to start my own student organization that promotes primary care. I have nothing planned yet for January 2013 (my school has a one-month interim term). I just want to do something meaningful. Maybe I could start some kind of project in a rural and/or under-served area of the United States. I was thinking about starting a spiritual wellness clinic. Does the American Academy of Family Physicians have any projects that a pre-med student can participate in? Does anyone have any ideas about what I could do on a national level during January 2013?

Been there, done that. If you genuinely want to make a difference, there are many things I could suggest. However, it clearly seems that you want to do something that is drastically going to increase your MD chances. If that is what you are trying to accomplish, here is my advice: STUDY FOR THE MCAT. As far as medical school admissions are concerned, the MCAT is key.

Not sure about the American academy of family physicians but you could try to look on the AMSA website. They have a search function that allows you to search for opportunities. Also, you could contact a local family med doc to see if they can help you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Been there, done that. If you genuinely want to make a difference, there are many things I could suggest. However, it clearly seems that you want to do something that is drastically going to increase your MD chances. If that is what you are trying to accomplish, here is my advice: STUDY FOR THE MCAT. As far as medical school admissions are concerned, the MCAT is key.

Knocked Up,

If you don't mind me asking, are you currently a medical student, resident, or practicing physician?

Just ignore him. He's either a troll or knows nothing about the admissions process.

I'm just trying to help out the underclassmen on this forum. That's all. I don't see you giving him any constructive help here. But, please do go ahead. Tell him that he can create a nonprofit to raise 100k in a month and that will get him not only an acceptance, but a full ride to Uchicago. Tell him that a Marshall Scholarship will seal the deal with Umichigan. Tell him that it is not true that 70+% of your class has MCATs between 34-38. Please, be my guest...

My personal experience, unfortunately, will prove otherwise. That's all I am saying here. Some of us have a goal of truly making a difference. Others just want to get into medical school. If one just wants to get into medical school, then STATISTICALLY the MCAT is what matters.