one more about the NBME self assessments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

souljah1

Attending
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed that many previous threads shared that the NBME exams that you can pay for and download (two 200 question exams) were most predictive of what you can expect to score on step1. For those of you who took them and have taken step1, I have a question. How would you compare the NBME exams and Step1 in terms of difficulty? I found them to be more challenging than the free 150 question exam from the USMLE website, but a bit easier (and different) than Qbank.

I'm in the final countdown (take it on 4/9)and I can't wait until I can click whatever letter I click for #350! A bit nervous, but even more excited to be finsihed.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, i thought overall the real test was easier than the NBME practice exams, and for me the practice exam was 1 s.d. below my real score. i can say when you click your final answer, its a good feeling, good luck

So I took it yesterday and it wasn't too bad.

Some blocks were as straight forward as the free released items, but other blocks were like a really difficult qbank block. I think that averaged together, they were slightly more diffucult than the NBME self assessments.

I got very little microbiology. A ton of immunology, neuroanatomy, and cell biology (atleast it felt like a lot of cell bio). Decent amount of physio (not one calculation), not one embryology question, about 5 biostat questions, and about 10-15 behavioral 'quote' questions that were all better than qbanks. Pharm was solidly tested on each block so I think I probably got around 30-40 pharm questions. Path/Pathophys was the heaviest tested and were very similar to Qbank. Lots of hematology, cardio, reproductive, neuro stuff. Very little on the kidney for me.

All in all, there were moments went I felt like I was killing it, moments when I felt like I was getting whipped, and more so than any other feeling - there were moments when I had things narrowed down to two answers and I had to make an educated guess. I felt that way on the NBME exams as well, but I didn't feel like I had to make a guess as much as I did on the real thing.

Glad I'm done! It felt so good to walk out of the testing center and realize that I have a nice 12 days off before I start third year!

how much gross anat did u get......

illbe so happy if i dont get any embryo....i keep having this feeling that my exam will be all embryo and dr. pt relationship. ques. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a very simple question but I could not find it over the internet. What is the maximum possible grade, how many questions out of the 350 should be solved to get the best scores? Is there any histogram or grade distribution for the overall population?
It seems to me that this is not written anywhere

:sleep: what is a good score on this 200 question sample exam? I have heard 320-330 or above is passing. let me know if you have heard the same.

MCG said:
Honestly, i thought overall the real test was easier than the NBME practice exams, and for me the practice exam was 1 s.d. below my real score. i can say when you click your final answer, its a good feeling, good luck

I agree. As I've stated in other threads, I didn't feel too good after receiving my score on the online NBME practice tests. (And this was only a week before the exam.) But I was pleasantly surprised by my score on the actual Step 1.