One more question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

the_labrat

Hot Tamale
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
By reading the various horror stories of applicants across the nation, I am wondering this:

Pharmacy schools all want you to apply before a certain date, usually the year before you are supposed to get in (pre-November)....

For those of us who are taking only 2 years of pre-requisites to try and get into the program, I understand it isnt highly reccommended you take the PCAT until after you have taken all your prerequisites, right?

So do I go to school for a year, chance the PCAT and start getting myself into PharmCAS after that year? Or do i go to school for 2 years, take the PCAT, and then (for lack of a better word) d**k around until I'm accepted?

Any help here would be hot. Thanks 😀
 
I hadn't taken all of my pre-reqs when I took the PCAT. I still had o-chem and calculus left to take. I had taken an introductory o-chem class and calculus a long time ago. So I spent some time on my own with those topics. And I just had to make sure that everything else was really solid. I did well.

I made sure that I time to retake the exam if I needed to.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I highly recommend taking the PCAT after one year of prereqs in order to begin pharm school as soon as your pre-reqs are done. PCAT is not that hard if you study and there is a lot of PCAT study guides out there. So I think it can be done, even with one year of prereqs only.

Consider this, if the average pharmacist salary is 90k/year, then you are losing about $90,000 by waiting an extra year to get into pharm school.
 
Thanks for the advice, which is why i opted to take out private student loans to go full time instead of part-time.

Thanks again!