One more question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the_labrat

Hot Tamale
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
By reading the various horror stories of applicants across the nation, I am wondering this:

Pharmacy schools all want you to apply before a certain date, usually the year before you are supposed to get in (pre-November)....

For those of us who are taking only 2 years of pre-requisites to try and get into the program, I understand it isnt highly reccommended you take the PCAT until after you have taken all your prerequisites, right?

So do I go to school for a year, chance the PCAT and start getting myself into PharmCAS after that year? Or do i go to school for 2 years, take the PCAT, and then (for lack of a better word) d**k around until I'm accepted?

Any help here would be hot. Thanks :D

Members don't see this ad.

I hadn't taken all of my pre-reqs when I took the PCAT. I still had o-chem and calculus left to take. I had taken an introductory o-chem class and calculus a long time ago. So I spent some time on my own with those topics. And I just had to make sure that everything else was really solid. I did well.

I made sure that I time to retake the exam if I needed to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I highly recommend taking the PCAT after one year of prereqs in order to begin pharm school as soon as your pre-reqs are done. PCAT is not that hard if you study and there is a lot of PCAT study guides out there. So I think it can be done, even with one year of prereqs only.

Consider this, if the average pharmacist salary is 90k/year, then you are losing about $90,000 by waiting an extra year to get into pharm school.

Thanks for the advice, which is why i opted to take out private student loans to go full time instead of part-time.

Thanks again!