1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

One more question

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by the_labrat, Jul 22, 2006.

1. the_labrat

the_labrat Hot Tamale
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    By reading the various horror stories of applicants across the nation, I am wondering this:

Pharmacy schools all want you to apply before a certain date, usually the year before you are supposed to get in (pre-November)....

For those of us who are taking only 2 years of pre-requisites to try and get into the program, I understand it isnt highly reccommended you take the PCAT until after you have taken all your prerequisites, right?

So do I go to school for a year, chance the PCAT and start getting myself into PharmCAS after that year? Or do i go to school for 2 years, take the PCAT, and then (for lack of a better word) d**k around until I'm accepted?

Any help here would be hot. Thanks :D

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. the_labrat

the_labrat Hot Tamale
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
  4. twester

twester Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I hadn't taken all of my pre-reqs when I took the PCAT. I still had o-chem and calculus left to take. I had taken an introductory o-chem class and calculus a long time ago. So I spent some time on my own with those topics. And I just had to make sure that everything else was really solid. I did well.

I made sure that I time to retake the exam if I needed to.

5. SCCpharm

10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I highly recommend taking the PCAT after one year of prereqs in order to begin pharm school as soon as your pre-reqs are done. PCAT is not that hard if you study and there is a lot of PCAT study guides out there. So I think it can be done, even with one year of prereqs only.

Consider this, if the average pharmacist salary is 90k/year, then you are losing about $90,000 by waiting an extra year to get into pharm school.

6. the_labrat

the_labrat Hot Tamale
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thanks for the advice, which is why i opted to take out private student loans to go full time instead of part-time.

Thanks again!