1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

one more question

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by theedaddy77, May 9, 2008.

1. theedaddy77

Pre-Dental
    what reaction and structure prevents the egg from getting hit up multiple times>? thanks again guys!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. prydA

Pre-Dental
  4. bruin432

Pre-Dental
    the zona pellucida has receptors for the sperm. The sperm has a structure on its head, which when it is matured, contains enzymes which can breakdown the corona radiata of the oocyte, the reaction in which these enzymes are released is called the acrosome reaction. Once one sperm fertilizes, a series of reactions occur but, mostly there is an increase in Ca++ concentration which hardens the zona pellucida and prevents any other sperm from entering to avoid polyspermia, which in most cases can be fatal (i think thats what its called) hope this helps.

5. theedaddy77

Pre-Dental
    ur a bruin so am i!!! so i thought it was the zona pellicude, but on achiever it says none of the above......

Which of the following membrane structures serves as fast block to multiple fertilizations at an animal egg cell Which of the following membrane structures serves as fast block to multiple fertilizations at an animal egg cell?
    A. Jelly coat B. Corona radiata C. Zona pellucida D. Fertilization membrane E. None of the aboveanswer is e. do u have any idea why/.

6. theedaddy77

Pre-Dental
    does anyone know why it would say that?

7. phunki

Pre-Dental
    i think the key word in the question is FAST BLOCK. from what i remember, there is no fast block to polyspermy in animals besides the sea urchin, which has the membrane depolarization.

8. userah

Dental Student
    doesn't achiever give out explanations?. it didn't mention anything?