One Pre-req online?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwer27

Reaction score
Hey everyone! So with COVID, most if not all colleges have moved to online classes. I've finished all my pre-reqs, but physics 2 lab, and I was wondering if I'd be forced to retake it since it became online and I know med schools don't like online pre-reqs, or do you think they'll waive it for this semester?

My school also makes us take physics 1, 2 and 3! (They weirdly split it up). I've taken 1 and 2 as well as physics 1 lab already and am also enrolled in physics 3 this semester. Judging by the syllabus it seems to cover a bit of physics 2 in the first half and then goes into more advanced topics the second half. Would med schools then still consider my physics 3 a pre req for med school? I've already taken 7 credits worth of physics.

So, my ultimate question would be, do I have to retake my physics 3 class and 1 credit lab, since its now online, or do you think I'd be fine? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

@gonnif has a nice little write up he posts on threads like this which is most helpful. Essentially, we don't know for certain how this will impact courses for medical school requirements but we expect them to be a bit more lenient with regards to online classes in the future, however there is no telling how long this will last so it's impossible to make 100% accurate predictions regarding coursework to be accepted. I will say you should definitely be fine with your current classes being online, however.

Best of luck and stay safe!

Hey everyone! So with COVID, most if not all colleges have moved to online classes. I've finished all my pre-reqs, but physics 2 lab, and I was wondering if I'd be forced to retake it since it became online and I know med schools don't like online pre-reqs, or do you think they'll waive it for this semester?

My school also makes us take physics 1, 2 and 3! (They weirdly split it up). I've taken 1 and 2 as well as physics 1 lab already and am also enrolled in physics 3 this semester. Judging by the syllabus it seems to cover a bit of physics 2 in the first half and then goes into more advanced topics the second half. Would med schools then still consider my physics 3 a pre req for med school? I've already taken 7 credits worth of physics.

So, my ultimate question would be, do I have to retake my physics 3 class and 1 credit lab, since its now online, or do you think I'd be fine? Thanks!!

A typical introductory physics courses (aka "Freshman Physics") lasts one year. At a semester school, it will be divided into Physics 1 and 2. At a quarter school, it is divided into Physics 1, 2, and 3.

I recommend taking ALL of Physics 1, 2, and 3 and their associated labs. You will need this knowledge. Here is my advice regarding the lab: The lab portion of a course tends to increase the overall grade for the student in the class. The reason for this increase is that students generally get much higher scores in the lab portion as compared to the lecture portion. I see this effect in both my on-ground and online classes that I teach.

Members don't see this ad :)
A typical introductory physics courses (aka "Freshman Physics") lasts one year. At a semester school, it will be divided into Physics 1 and 2. At a quarter school, it is divided into Physics 1, 2, and 3.

I recommend taking ALL of Physics 1, 2, and 3 and their associated labs. You will need this knowledge. Here is my advice regarding the lab: The lab portion of a course tends to increase the overall grade for the student in the class. The reason for this increase is that students generally get much higher scores in the lab portion as compared to the lecture portion. I see this effect in both my on-ground and online classes that I teach.

so do you think I'd have to retake my physics 3 and lab because med schools may not accept them since they've become online due to covid?

@gonnif has a nice little write up he posts on threads like this which is most helpful. Essentially, we don't know for certain how this will impact courses for medical school requirements but we expect them to be a bit more lenient with regards to online classes in the future, however there is no telling how long this will last so it's impossible to make 100% accurate predictions regarding coursework to be accepted. I will say you should definitely be fine with your current classes being online, however.

Best of luck and stay safe!

thanks for the help! I tried going on gonnif's profile, but I can't see anything because this user limits who can see their content!

so do you think I'd have to retake my physics 3 and lab because med schools may not accept them since they've become online due to covid?

I do not know since we have the unpredictable effect of covid-19. My guess is that you will not need to retake it since you have already done the in-person labs for physics 1 and 2.

As an instructor, I have observed some good in-person physics labs and some "not so good" in-person physics labs. It is variable, especially when you have TAs or grad students conducting the labs.