One recommendation letter being used for science or non-science depending on school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toodleloo222

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know AACOMAS considers cognitive science to not be part of your science GPA, but neuroscience is.

If that's that case, can a rec letter from a professor of "cognitive neuroscience" be used as a science letter for one school and non-science for another depending on the school?

The reason is because I know this professor will write a better letter for me than a hard sciences prof will. (My other science letter should be excellent.) So for schools that require two (often both science) letters, could I submit cognitive neuroscience as one of them instead of using the other letter? And for schools requiring three letters, count it as non-science?

Or would the categorization depend on whether I list the course as under cognitive science or neuroscience in my app?

Members don't see this ad.

I know AACOMAS considers cognitive science to not be part of your science GPA, but neuroscience is.

If that's that case, can a rec letter from a professor of "cognitive neuroscience" be used as a science letter for one school and non-science for another depending on the school?

The reason is because I know this professor will write a better letter for me than a hard sciences prof will. (My other science letter should be excellent.) So for schools that require two (often both science) letters, could I submit cognitive neuroscience as one of them instead of using the other letter? And for schools requiring three letters, count it as non-science?

Or would the categorization depend on whether I list the course as under cognitive science or neuroscience in my app?
In my experience, letters that can go two ways are decided on by the specific schools. If you submit what you consider to be a non-science letter to a school and they see it as a science letter, they will probably notify you via email and you can try to make your case to them. The safest way is to have an obligatory non-science/science letter that cannot be interpreted one way or the other.

Reactions: 1 user