One subject at a time vs alternating subjects?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eye see you

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I have been doing content review for about 3 weeks now and I've been studying another subject every day I study in the following order:

Bio > Orgo > Biochem > Physics > Gen chem

Do you think it's better to alternate like how I'm doing right now or is it better to go through one full subject at a time? I'm kind of leaning towards switching to one subject at a time but I'm afraid that I'll forget content from the first subject once I finish studying the last subject. Also, if I tackle one subject at a time, is it better to start with my weakest subject first ( physics x100000 :/ ) or to save it for last (so it's fresh for test day).

Members don't see this ad.

I studied one subject at a time starting with my weakest subject. This allowed me to really hammer in weaker stuff and even though I felt rushed at the end it was my best subjects last so it was fine.

Use Anki to retain stuff long term. I studied for 9 months part time and didn’t have any trouble remembering the stuff I studied at the beginning. Just make sure you create solid flash cards that test mcat strategy and not just simple term/definition type cards.

Otterxavier has a fantastic post about making great anki cards

Reactions: 5 users
Hello. I have been doing content review for about 3 weeks now and I've been studying another subject every day I study in the following order:

Bio > Orgo > Biochem > Physics > Gen chem

Do you think it's better to alternate like how I'm doing right now or is it better to go through one full subject at a time? I'm kind of leaning towards switching to one subject at a time but I'm afraid that I'll forget content from the first subject once I finish studying the last subject. Also, if I tackle one subject at a time, is it better to start with my weakest subject first ( physics x100000 :/ ) or to save it for last (so it's fresh for test day).

Similar to previous advice, I had not taken biochem prior to my exam and it had been a minute since I had any physics so I spent my first phase of studying learning/reviewing these two, one at a time. After that I alternated bc I personally felt like I got pretty burnt out hammering one subject at a time. I personally preferred using both methods. If you alternate, I liked doing 3 subject chunks at a time.

Cards are a really good way to stay sharp with material if you choose to do one subject at a time. And yes, if you alternate def do your weakest subject(s) first, just make sure you are reviewing that subject or those subjects frequently over the course of your studying.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's completely preferential. I have had students do it both ways and find success. I personally started feeling disorganized if I tried to study multiple subjects in a day. However, one thing you can do is have a list of high-yield things to do from other subjects weekly. So, I started with physics, but I would also spend some time memorizing amino-acids as well and reviewing psychology terms daily, but the bulk of my day was spent doing a single subject. I don't think you can go wrong either way though. Just whatever feels more comfortable for you, try that method!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I tried both and decided I liked studying one subject at a time during content review. It really helped me cement topics. I started alternating once I finished content review. I also alternated my weak subjects with my stronger subjects to help keep me motivated (e.g. I avoided studying physics and organic back to back because it was too demoralizing haha). If you have time, try different tactics to see what works best for you. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I mixed it up from one day to the next, making one day for biology, another for physics, etc... I mixed in CARS wherever it would fit. In retrospect, I don't think it made any difference. There is so much overlap between subjects that it ends up mixed anyway.