One week till MCAT-need some major advice/insight

Started by SoShGT
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SoShGT

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys. New to SDN so sorry if this thread seems repetitive with other threads. I'm taking my mcat on the 16th and I just finished my TPR class. I just need some insight and reflection on my scores to see where I'm standing realistically.

So here it goes- starting from the most current to the beginning of class and I've been taking EKC101 passages and have gotten what they score a 9 every single time-not sure how accurate EKC scoring is for verbal

1. TPR DEMO (29)
PS-10 V-9 BS-10

2. TPR PRACTICE TEST 5 (23)
PS-8 V-5 BS-10

3. AAMC 7 (28)
PS-10 V-7 BS-11

4.TPR 4 (27)
PS-7 V-9 BS-11

5.TPR CRACKING 3 (this was insanely difficult for me) (22)
PS-7 V-6 BS-8

6.TPR PRACTICE TEST 3 (25)
PS-9 V-6 BS-10

7.TPR CRACKING 2 (24)
PS-9 V-5 BS-10

8.AAMC 5
PS-9 V-8 BS-10 (27)

Ive taken 6 more befor AAMC 5 while I was studying the material but these are the scores I've been getting after learning everything

I'm just a bit nervous because PS And V I feel are inconsistent. I'd appreciate the advice or insight-thanks!
 
you need to know the science content inside and out and be able to relate it to anything. you must know how to analyze data if given a table, graph, or the works.

for verbal, if i was able to say not necessarily to a question, it was wrong; took the 8/4 test so no score back yet. that was a retake for me because of verbal the first time (6) - first time i was phasing in and out of reading the passage, so you really gotta be good at actively reading and understanding why he gave an example where he did and where the author is going with the argument.
 
For verbal, I was scoring a 7. Then I listened to Jon and Jordan one time, took a VR section, and got a 9. Now I am getting 11 on verbal and that is like without really spending a lot of time on it. I take a five second breather between each passage so I can clear my mind of the PS or the passage before. I read actively and then while answering the questions, I don't go back to the passage much at all unless it is a fact that they are asking for. Maybe try that once and see if it helps.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took the demo and all 3 TPR practice tests, as well as many Examkrackers VR passages and found them much harder than the AAMC practice tests and the real things. I consistently got 27's on TPR full lengths and about 9 or 10 on EK verbal passages. For AAMC tests (I did four) I consistently got around the 32 range and did the same on the real thing.

IMO, don't trust anything full tests except the AAMC ones.
 
hey i'm also taking it on the 16th! and i also took the TPR course this summer and took some of their practice tests. they're hard! especially the PS and VR sections (for me, at least). I had been scoring in the 9-10 range in the verbal workbook and EK101 passages and then when it came to TPR practice tests 1-5, my verbal score was crap. Like 5-7 range. I noticed that the passages were absolutely ridiculous and very, very long. So, like others have said, take your test-prep company tests scores with a grain of salt. Use the AAMC exams as a better indicator of your score.

good luck!!