one year coursework only masters programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joe42581

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the end of the app process is coming near and I still havnt gotten accepted anywhere. I been hearing about these one-year masters programs that are basically designed to help you get into med school. So far the only one i have been able to find info about is the georgetown one, but i was wondering if anyone else knows more about these one year programs? like any other schools offer these types of master programs? and their rep, etc. Whatever you guys know will help me alot since i am debating btw doing the 1 yr masters then apply again vs just going to carribbean med schools. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Loyola has one of those 1 yr. masters programs too and I think they guarantee you an interview at their med school if you get a gpa > 3.5 during their program.

VCU/MCV has one, but be warned it is tough. When I talked with the medical dean of admissions 2 years ago, she told me it is a bit tougher than the 1st year of med school. You have to complete 27-29 credits in 2 semesters. They are all graduate level courses. You don't get a Master's though, at the end, you only get a certificate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll second Amy about MCV. I am in this program now and it is tough. Seeing that you are from California I would suggest that you look into the program at MCV. Several of my classmates are from California and it seems that MCV takes their fair share of Californians. PM me if you have any questions.

what are the sucess rates of ppl in these programs that get into medical school after they finish the 1 yr program? and do you know if these programs only help you get into the school u are doing the 1 yr masters (ie. goin to loyola grad school helps u get in there) or if it helps alot for all schools u apply to later? i would really appreciate any feedback, thanks!!

Northwestern has a 1-year masters program in neurobiology or physiology. It's not quite like the Georgetown SMP - it's not geared as much toward preparing students for medical school. But, the website mentions that several students who complete the program move on to medical school each year.

some of these programs have you taking MS1 classes along with their med school's 1st year class. assuming you do well and get accepted into that med school, does anyone know if you can apply the credits towards your first year? i mean, if the classes are actually taken with MS1's, and you're graded in comparison to them, why would you have to repeat these classes?

I just got the letter from Loyola in the mail. Loyola's program is 24 credit hours in one year.

master of science in biotechnology at Columbia