One Year Master's Programs That Provide a Stipend

DougFlutie

Early Retirement
10+ Year Member
    OK, so time is ticking. I'm approaching my senior year soon, and I've yet to make the definite decision between a PhD and an MD. I'm also not sure I can handle the time commitment necessary for an MD/PhD. In short, I think I would like to put off the decision to make the multi-year commitment necessary for any type of doctorate. Looking around, several of the one-year terminal masters programs in neuroscience have piqued my interest (Northwestern in particular). However, for someone with a competitve GPA and (fingers crossed) neurosci publication, I refuse to drop 30k so that I can get some more experience before making a decision.

Does anyone know of any 1-year programs that are willing to foot the bill for students via TA positions or merit-aid? I'd love to get some publishing done while seeing some new avenues of research.

Thank you.

ltrain

10+ Year Member
    Jul 9, 2004
      DougFlutie said:
      OK, so time is ticking. I'm approaching my senior year soon, and I've yet to make the definite decision between a PhD and an MD. I'm also not sure I can handle the time commitment necessary for an MD/PhD. In short, I think I would like to put off the decision to make the multi-year commitment necessary for any type of doctorate. Looking around, several of the one-year terminal masters programs in neuroscience have piqued my interest (Northwestern in particular). However, for someone with a competitve GPA and (fingers crossed) neurosci publication, I refuse to drop 30k so that I can get some more experience before making a decision.

Does anyone know of any 1-year programs that are willing to foot the bill for students via TA positions or merit-aid? I'd love to get some publishing done while seeing some new avenues of research.

Thank you.

one thing you could do is apply for research assistant or laboratory assistant positions through a hospital/university. you don't get a degree, but you definitely get immersed in research, and a lot of people are able to get publications. a lot of people take this route before applying to grad/med school.

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.