One Year Master's Programs That Provide a Stipend

Started by DougFlutie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DougFlutie

Early Retirement
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OK, so time is ticking. I'm approaching my senior year soon, and I've yet to make the definite decision between a PhD and an MD. I'm also not sure I can handle the time commitment necessary for an MD/PhD. In short, I think I would like to put off the decision to make the multi-year commitment necessary for any type of doctorate. Looking around, several of the one-year terminal masters programs in neuroscience have piqued my interest (Northwestern in particular). However, for someone with a competitve GPA and (fingers crossed) neurosci publication, I refuse to drop 30k so that I can get some more experience before making a decision.

Does anyone know of any 1-year programs that are willing to foot the bill for students via TA positions or merit-aid? I'd love to get some publishing done while seeing some new avenues of research.

Thank you.
 
DougFlutie said:
OK, so time is ticking. I'm approaching my senior year soon, and I've yet to make the definite decision between a PhD and an MD. I'm also not sure I can handle the time commitment necessary for an MD/PhD. In short, I think I would like to put off the decision to make the multi-year commitment necessary for any type of doctorate. Looking around, several of the one-year terminal masters programs in neuroscience have piqued my interest (Northwestern in particular). However, for someone with a competitve GPA and (fingers crossed) neurosci publication, I refuse to drop 30k so that I can get some more experience before making a decision.

Does anyone know of any 1-year programs that are willing to foot the bill for students via TA positions or merit-aid? I'd love to get some publishing done while seeing some new avenues of research.

Thank you.

one thing you could do is apply for research assistant or laboratory assistant positions through a hospital/university. you don't get a degree, but you definitely get immersed in research, and a lot of people are able to get publications. a lot of people take this route before applying to grad/med school.