One Year Master's Programs That Provide a Stipend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DougFlutie

Early Retirement
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so time is ticking. I'm approaching my senior year soon, and I've yet to make the definite decision between a PhD and an MD. I'm also not sure I can handle the time commitment necessary for an MD/PhD. In short, I think I would like to put off the decision to make the multi-year commitment necessary for any type of doctorate. Looking around, several of the one-year terminal masters programs in neuroscience have piqued my interest (Northwestern in particular). However, for someone with a competitve GPA and (fingers crossed) neurosci publication, I refuse to drop 30k so that I can get some more experience before making a decision.

Does anyone know of any 1-year programs that are willing to foot the bill for students via TA positions or merit-aid? I'd love to get some publishing done while seeing some new avenues of research.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

DougFlutie said:
OK, so time is ticking. I'm approaching my senior year soon, and I've yet to make the definite decision between a PhD and an MD. I'm also not sure I can handle the time commitment necessary for an MD/PhD. In short, I think I would like to put off the decision to make the multi-year commitment necessary for any type of doctorate. Looking around, several of the one-year terminal masters programs in neuroscience have piqued my interest (Northwestern in particular). However, for someone with a competitve GPA and (fingers crossed) neurosci publication, I refuse to drop 30k so that I can get some more experience before making a decision.

Does anyone know of any 1-year programs that are willing to foot the bill for students via TA positions or merit-aid? I'd love to get some publishing done while seeing some new avenues of research.

Thank you.

one thing you could do is apply for research assistant or laboratory assistant positions through a hospital/university. you don't get a degree, but you definitely get immersed in research, and a lot of people are able to get publications. a lot of people take this route before applying to grad/med school.