One year required Internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hottpants89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everything I can find on this topic here is four or five years old. The doctor I'm shadowing just told me that Virginia also requires an internship. Does anyone know what the actual procedures are for this?

Members don't see this ad.

In 5 or so states DO's need to do a transitional internship for a year prior to residency.

You will more than likely be able to waive it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. Got it. So the internship is only required in 4 states, and in those 4 states you can still get it waived.
I dont see anything bad about doing one year intership. Let say for instance you are doing IM/FM residency, you would do one year intership plus tow-year residency, which is total to three years. If there was no intership, you would go straight to PGY1 and finish in three years anyway. Aren't they the same thing? Correct me if I am wrong..May be I am missing something here.

I dont see anything bad about doing one year intership. Let say for instance you are doing IM/FM residency, you would do one year intership plus tow-year residency, which is total to three years. If there was no intership, you would go straight to PGY1 and finish in three years anyway. Aren't they the same thing? Correct me if I am wrong..May be I am missing something here.

It would be an addition to...so you would have 4 years rather than 3 years.
That one year would be called a TRI (traditional rotation internship).

Cheers :)

The first year for all AOA residencies fulfills this requirement and does not add an additional year. Family medicine is still only a total of 3 years. If you do an ACGME residency and want to practice in one of those four states, you need to either do an extra year prior to your residency (which some programs might give you credit for and start you as a PGY-2) or just get your normal first year approved as an internship.

... I believe.

So to do an allopathic residency in a state other than those four there is still no internship required. From what I can tell.

Your options

1. Do a traditional osteopathic internship and re-apply for residency (either AOA or ACGME)
2. Do an AOA residency with the first year counting towards the AOA internship
3. Do an ACGME residency and apply via Resolution 42 to have your PGY1 year count as an AOA intern year
4. Do an ACGME residency and don't apply for Resolution 42 (or have your Resolution 42 denied)

The first three will allow you to practice in all 50 states. If you fall in the 4th category, you cannot practice (but may be able to do residency) in 4 states.

The first category will add an additional year to your total training. The last 3 categories will not add any additional training time.