Onlay trouble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noreenmachine

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there. I just got prepped for an onlay. I'm a clencher and cracked my large molar on my right side a couple of years ago and got a partial gold crown. They suspected I cracked the large molar on my left side and suggested an onlay. I got a temporary put in, but the pain is worse than before I got the temporary on. Why??!! I have no sensitivity to hot, cold or sweet, just pressure. Does this mean the crack is deeper than they thought? I am getting the lab onlay put in, in a few days but I'm worried. I can't chew at all on that side. I only have 24 teeth in my head and am trying to hang on to my scraps!! Is there a possibility that when I get the lab onlay put on, that the pain will go away? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It could be high in occlusion. Go into the dentist tomorrow and have them take a look at it.

The dentist adjusted the bite on Monday. Sadly, no change.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe a pulpal exposure? Go back to the dentist and let him/her know that you are still in pain, they should take care of it!!!!

From the symptoms described I'd guess the problem is still associated with the crack. They may have not adequately fixed the problem.

Yeah, maybe a vertical root fracture, which means bye bye tooth, but pulpal exposure/ or too much heat during the prep, still lingers in my mind.

If it's the latter, does that mean it will be ok when I get the real onlay on? Or is my tooth hooped.

Could be that it will just go away with time, or could be that you will need a root canal to save the tooth!!!!

nooooooooooOOOOoooooo! not another root canal!! Thanks for all your replies. I go back on Tuesday so we'll see what happens. Not fun having to chew on one side for a week and a half WITH a half frozen tongue. Dentures are looking better and better - haha.

Let us know what the dentists says.

well, i'm back from the dentist and Yayy! no pain to pressure when i eat on the onlay. so, so far so good. Both the crown and the onlay look great. The pain must have been from the ill fitting temporary.

thanks for all your advice. my tongue is still numb though but hopefully that will go away in time.

- machine