Online Anatomy and Physiology class (not too expensive)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cargirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently taking my pre-pharmacy classes and due to my work schedule I am desparately looking for an online AP course from an accredited college.
I am also open to self paced courses that start anytime as I don't have to start right at the beginning of Fall 2009.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I am currently taking my pre-pharmacy classes and due to my work schedule I am desparately looking for an online AP course from an accredited college.
I am also open to self paced courses that start anytime as I don't have to start right at the beginning of Fall 2009.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

I am curious about this - How would a lab be conducted? In my A&P class, we dissected all sorts of stuff, from fetal pigs to sheep organs. Hard to replicate that via the intarwebz.

I am curious about this - How would a lab be conducted? In my A&P class, we dissected all sorts of stuff, from fetal pigs to sheep organs. Hard to replicate that via the intarwebz.

they have very detailed online labs where you actually dissect humans, frogs, pigs, and all other fun stuff. They are actually very interesting and highly detailed.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol
ya it seems like it would be really hard to do. It is really convenient to ask professor where/why in the middle of a lab. I've only had phys, so I don't know about anatomy though...

Buddy of mine Twitter'd me to suggest to you Rio Salado College. It's mostly a Nursing school but offers A&P 1 and 2 online, he did it to shore up some of the RN req's.

• BIO201 – Anatomy and Physiology I - Study of structure and function of the human body. Topics include cells, tissues, integumentary system, skeletal system, muscular system, and nervous system. See Mini Syllabus for prerequisites and full course description. In order to register for this course, Rio will need to verify that you have completed the prerequisite(s).
  • BIO202 – Anatomy and Physiology II - Continuation of structure and function of the human body. Topics include endocrine, circulatory, lymphatic, respiratory, digestive, urinary, and reproductive systems; and fluid and electrolyte balance. See Mini Syllabus for prerequisites and full course description. In order to register for this course, Rio will need to verify that you have completed the prerequisite(s).
Site:
http://www.riosalado.edu/programs/nursing/Pages/publicCourses.aspx

GL =]

Wait a second, you use twitter ? :scared: :scared: :scared:

Wife made me. =-/

It is my only concession to this fad of telling everyone about every moment of your entire life. I like Twittering my fave book authors too. It's a neat little community.

I can control what I see and what I don't see.

Unlike FB Status Updates every 3 seconds,

I just took a shower.
I'm going to work.
omg i'm SO watching sex and the city tonight
holy crapblahblahblah.

It's so tedious.

You know me well, though. I'm skurred. ;)

Creighton only requires 3 credits in Anatomy. My local college only offers 4 credit A&P, I and II, which would mean 8 credits instead of 3 to fulfill the same requirement. I found a few schools w/online classes that might fulfill the requirement using this website: http://www.dantescatalogs.com/. It's a site that the military uses, but anyone can search on it.

Last edited:
I strongly advise against any online physical/biological science classes, especially the one that has lab. The whole point of lab is to provide you hand on experience of the course material being lectured in class, and the online lab totally defeats that purpose. Lab is not supposed to be another lecture.

Many if not most of the pharmacy schools either don't accept online science classes or even if they do accept those classes, your potential application strength maybe negatively affected.

Furthermore, Pharmcas requires you to accurately list your online class as "remote learning" or something like that in the course list so that all schools know that the class you are taking is an online class.

Most of the universites that I'm applying to state that you can't take science courses/labs online. Well at my university they only offer A&P online except for the nursing students.

What would I do in this situation?

I have to agree with Matt48 in dis-advising on-line anatomy/physiology courses that are currently available. If you are absolutely, totally new to anatomy study and have no familiarity at all with all the gazillion Latin-based names for bodyparts, then an online course could be good as serving to get you up to speed. John Zahourek's dog, horse, and I think one human-anatomy class are still available too; in those classes, you learn in a more hands-on way by putting clay muscles layer by layer onto a sturdy 1/5th-scale plastic skeleton. For those interested in human or animal bodywork (of whatever modality), I recommend Debranne Patillo's "Equinology" -- go find her at www.equinology.com. Many, if not all, Equinology courses are accredited, and as you'll see when you go to their website, there is quite an extensive menu.

That said....there is still nothing in the whole world that can compare with actual experience with a carcass. Some medical schools today do quite a bit of their teaching through computer-assisted tomography and other highly sophisticated 3-D graphics, but surgeons still, somewhere or other, in order to mature and perfect their craft, must experience the touch and feel of real body tissue. So must anybody who intends to go into bodywork, physiotherapy, orthopedics, human or animal dentistry, or sports conditioning/sports medicine.

Good quality anatomy classes that are open to anyone are offered through Equine Studies Institute. Go read about them at www.equinestudies.org -- click on "forum" and see the threads describing the dog and horse classes near the top of the Forum homepage. If you are enrolled at an accredited institution, your school will probably be willing to give you credit for taking these classes "outside". The Institute is a think-tank that we founded a number of years ago, precisely because we were aware that nontraditional, alternative-care, and even quite a few "traditional" students in medical, veterinary, and the "para" disciplines often have great difficulty getting a hands-on carcass class. If you have further questions, just write me through the Forum above mentioned. -- Dr. Deb