Online anatomy class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2016DVM2016

Western U Class of 2016
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have already taken human physiology but have not taken any anatomy classes at all (already graduated). I would like to take an online one that is specific to veterinary (dog, cat, etc) instead of human if possible. Does anyone know if there is such a class online. I do not need it to transfer to any schools it would simply be for my own learning before I start vet school. If this isn't possible does anyone know of any really good anatomy books to start studying? I have looked at a lot of different reviews for books and all of them are not reviewed very favorably so I am having a difficult time choosing. So far I only bought Miller's anatomy of the dog (third edition). If anyone knows of any good comprehensive anatomy websites that would be great also. Any input would be a great help! Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Anatomy is not really a "learn it from a book" subject. It is the combo of the book and seeing/feeling it that the learning comes from (not that it worked for me).

But if you are intent on trying, get the DVD from CSU and use it in conjuction with Miller's guide to the dissection of the dog. At least then you can get a better sense of where things are at.

Thank you, I will definitely try that. I understand learning without physically seeing/feeling is not efficient or ideal but like I said I have absolutely no anatomy knowledge so learning even basics would be very helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anatomy is not really a "learn it from a book" subject. It is the combo of the book and seeing/feeling it that the learning comes from

I agree. A big source of my frustration in anatomy was that the book is great and provides information about what things SHOULD look like and where they SHOULD be, but sometimes when you would get to the dissection part, it was nothing like the book said, and it could send you down a road to nowhere.

Also, not many students have had anatomy prior to vet school (I didn't and no one I know in my class did either). It's fine to want to brush up or look over the material in preparation, but I'm not sure how much it will really help you later on in the class. The classes are not meant for the students to have a prior knowledge of simple anatomy. A veterinary school anatomy class is quite accelerated in comparison to an undergrad one. Lastly, Anatomy III consisted of all large animal. I and II included horses, but III had cows and sheep as well. If you want to be that prepared, I'd look into that too. Budras has a good book for them (dunno the name, I didn't get it I just used someone else's)

Thank you, I will look for that book :)