online biochemistry course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnex3

PennWe c/o 2016!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,
i've searched old threads on this topic but they're not the most recent so i wanted to ask the question again.

due to my work schedule and various other things, and also the fact that my local unviersity is offering biochemistry in the fall and NOT the spring, which is when i need to take it, and the private universities in my area such as georgetown, GWU, American, Catholic, etc. are much too expensive for me to take biochemistry with, i don't think i'll be able to take a classroom, lecture based biochem course.

therefore, i'm looking for an ONLINE biochemistry course WITH orgo as a prereq as several schools on my list (vtech, CSU, wisconsin, etc. require biochem with an orgo prereq). does anyone recommend/know of a few programs i can look into? i've heard of the KSU, UC Berekely, and University of Minn. ones. However, doesn't the UC Berkeley one NOT require orgo as a prereq?

i really appreciate everyone's input in advance, i'm getting nervous about how i'm going to figure out how to take biochem in the spring.

Members don't see this ad.

I took BIOC 3021 through the university of minnesota extension. The exams were almost identical to the practice exams he gives you and all of the course material are on the site so you can work ahead. However, the tests can only be completed in about a 10 day period so you have to plan accordingly. All the vet schools I have asked said they would accept it. Overall I enjoyed the course, the difficulty was easy to medium as long as you put in the time to do the work. He does curve the exams based on the performance of the class.

I took BIOC 3021 through the university of minnesota extension.

Do some vet schools require the lab component of biochem in their prereqs?

I know the U of MN doesn't (which is why I didn't bother doing the lab part of the biochem class I took), but I don't know about other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do some vet schools require the lab component of biochem in their prereqs?

I know the U of MN doesn't (which is why I didn't bother doing the lab part of the biochem class I took), but I don't know about other schools.

I can't speak for many schools, but I know VMRCVM does NOT require the lab component for biochem.

due to my work schedule and various other things, and also the fact that my local unviersity is offering biochemistry in the fall and NOT the spring, which is when i need to take it, and the private universities in my area such as georgetown, GWU, American, Catholic, etc. are much too expensive for me to take biochemistry with, i don't think i'll be able to take a classroom, lecture based biochem course.

Hey there fellow DCer! Have you looked at UDC or is that the local school that isn't offering it in the spring? If you live in DC, the classes are relatively inexpensive. Or maybe George Mason on the VA side or University of Maryland? Those are a little farther out though depending on where you live.

I remember reading that one school specifically states no correspondence courses are accepted for pre-reqs, but can't remember which one right now. I'll check when I get home tonight.

I am taking Distance Medical Biochemistry at University of New England, a 4 unit biochemistry course, to satisfy the biochemistry requirement at UTCVM.*

It is somewhat expensive at $1280, but the scheduling is extremely flexible because you can begin the course at any time. However, you are expected to complete the course independently over the course of 13 weeks and take ONE final exam for your grade.

* This is irritating because I have both a BS and a MS in Biochemistry. Since I haven't taken Biochemistry 101 since 2002, I have to retake it. :p