Online classes to boost GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IDoIt4Love

Breathe...just believe.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do ad-coms think about online courses at reputable, well-known, 4 year universities? I've already graduated undergrad, and just need to take a couple more upper level science classes and do well in them to boost my science GPA.

I am currently waiting on a final admissions decision from 4 med schools. I am on 2 wait-lists and am just waiting for answers from the other two. I was told by one of the schools I interviewed at that if I took a couple more upper level science courses and did well in them, it would calm any concerns the adcoms had about my science GPA. They said I didn't need a post-bacc; just a couple more classes.

I was looking at the summer offerings at my local universities, and they aren't that great. However, a pretty reputable state university is offering plenty of online biology courses that I could possibly take. It would be far easier to take them because commuting to that school would take about an hour each way, so this really looks like an attractive choice to me. Plus, I can tailor it to work with my work schedule.

Any thoughts or experience with this?

Members don't see this ad.

Be careful - plenty of people have gotten burned by thinking these classes are an easy A...otherwise, I think it is a good plan.

I think it's a good idea, just make sure you get A's. I've known people who thought those classes would be a cake walk and ended up getting b's and c's...

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine was an easy A. 7 tests over 7 weeks. Every single test comprised of materials from ~4 chapters, with each chapter having its own practice test and the 95% of test questions come from the practice test (with the same answers and everything).

All online.

Yes I'm learning Anatomy and Physiology "online".

:p

Mine was an easy A. 7 tests over 7 weeks. Every single test comprised of materials from ~4 chapters, with each chapter having its own practice test and the 95% of test questions come from the practice test (with the same answers and everything).

All online.

Yes I'm learning Anatomy and Physiology "online".

:p

Where did you take them? Will they count for AMCAS?

SWC (CC in San Diego). Yes, they will count, but probably not for a science GPA. Also took the easiest Psych 101 course in... well... probably the universe.

I took all of my english courses online as they are all writing based anyways (aka turn in papers). Never tried a science course but sounds like it could be a good idea if you really focus and make sure to get the A. Good luck!