Online Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are Online Classes Harder Than Regular Classes?

• Total voters

kennyram401

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are online classes harder than regular classes? Please vote, especially if you are going to comment.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've heard, online classes tend to be less difficult than regular classes, though I can see how it may be different for someone who learns best in person/in the classroom.

More importantly, like @gonnif mentioned, you may run into trouble come application time if some schools don't accept the pre-reqs as online classes. Even if they do accept them, it is possible they may look down on your app if several pre-reqs were completed online. To be safe, I would recommend taking all your pre-reqs in person, and if you need to take some online classes try taking other classes online instead (electives, other classes for your major, etc.)

In my experience, online classes have been significantly easier in-person ones. The only thing more difficult is the time management aspect, since it can be pretty easy to forget about assignments if you're not constantly being reminded of them in class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just as a comment, my impression is that adcoms generally view online classes in a less positive/less rigorous way than regular classes. Whether or not that is justified is not the point but rather the perception of adcoms is the reality you face as an applicant. Additionally, many schools will not accept some/all prereqs via online classwork. Even if you school does not specifically not a class as online or not, you will be attesting to fulfilling the requirements when taking an offer of acceptance and matriculation
I have already graduated and only the online biochem class is available at my school for non-matriculated students. Should I take it in-person at a community college instead?

I would suggest you take at CC
I have a quick question. My large state U has a very robust online school program. In addition when on campus students take online courses on our transcripts, it is not denoted as being online. Thankfully none of my prerequisites were completed online, but I am just curious about if med schools can still tell?

From my personal experience, the online classes that were self-paced were easier and more straightforward when it came to exams than the in-class version. However, the online class that requires watching online lectures and simulated an in class experience were about the same rigor as it would be in class.

there are at least 3 reasons/ways they may be able to tell.

1) Schools typically do not check prereqs for fulfillment until you have taken an offer of acceptance. At that time you will be required to submit transcripts directly to the school. Some schools will have these transcripts verified via NSCH. some schools in that database may have identifiers for section numbers, that may be on your transcript, and identify online sections

2) most medical schools will do some sort of spot check on their incoming class that may include contacting registrar, which get this info

3) from the moment you apply to a school, you have agreed to follow student handbook and policies. If you take up an offer of acceptance, you will have attested at least twice, on secondary and matriculation agreement, that you are following listed requirements and are not knowing saying otherwise by signing this.

The risk here that if for some improbable reason you are discovered say as an MS3 to have knowingly mus-attested to an online course, thus an ethical violation, you could have your acceptance retroactively rescinded and thrown out. You could also have federal civil actions from the DOE

I know of a couple of cases like this over the past several years, usually for more serious misrepresentations but still just for coursework issues

Besides the obvious ethical issues, the risks arent worth it

Wow that all sounds very scary! Haha

If our online classes are just for electives then there is no reason to worry right?

Wow that all sounds very scary! Haha

If our online classes are just for electives then there is no reason to worry right?

Right. It's pre-reqs where it matters.

Reactions: 1 user