online classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bostonpet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm just curious if any of you know how an online class may look to vet schools? i'm thinking of taking a summer statistics class online, but won't bother if it reflects poorly on a transcript.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been told that it does not matter. I could be totally wrong. I have taken a couple of classes online myself. I don't think that they were any easier.

My personal opinion is that 1 or 2 online classes isn't a big deal, unless it's organic/physics etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, my guess is that one or two online classes won't matter too much. Depending on where you are and what schools you are applying to, an online class might be the only way to complete a pre-req. I had to take animal nutrition online since my school doesn't offer it.

I have heard that some programs encourage you to take classes such as animal nutrition online if it isn't offered at your institution. Other than that, I haven't heard much on the subject.

It depends on the class and the school. With UTK, they only would accept certain online courses and not others, so I think they need to fit some sort of criteria. And with some classes, you simply cannot take online classes (UTK said no to biochemistry). Schools tend to prefer classes that are not offered online, but I would check with the schools you're interested in.

Can they actually tell if a class was taken online? I've taken a few online courses (mainly GEs) and it doesn't show on my transcript that they were online. I also agree that online doesn't mean easier. I've taken some hard online courses but our school has a video thing set up so you still watch lectures, it's just kind of on your own schedule.

I think it depends. I took one gen-ed class "distance learning" style, where I watched the recorded lectures online & just came only on exam days - there isn't any notation on my transcripts (the same course number as the "in-class" version, etc)...

i have never even checked, but i think the course i took online just has the course number and name, as well.

I took calc, stats, and gen chem II online. They were just as hard as in class, and it was not noted on my transcript. I was working too, and it was the only way I could get them to fit my schedule.

I think it was Missouri that told me they don't accept online courses.

So.. if in doubt, check it out with the schools you'd plan on applying to (or think you'd be applying to).

Colorado didn't mind, that I do recall. Kansas apparently didn't either, since I was accepted there.

I did Statistics at a local community college in the summer, and it wasn't bad at all.