Online course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

felineman12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody been succesful getting admitted into vet school- taking pre-req courses online???

Members don't see this ad.

Has anybody been succesful getting admitted into vet school- taking pre-req courses online???
The majority of schools are accepting the nutrition course I took online through Oklahoma state, since my school does not offer it. With regards to other classes, I have heard for the most part that the answer is no. If it is a class that is not offered at your school, I have heard that some schools are lenient with when you can take the course. My friend is super set on Florida, and there is 1 course not offered at our school that is a relatively difficult to find course. Florida admissions told her that she will be allowed to take that course the summer before vet school starts. As always, feel free to call the schools you are thinking of applying to, they are always super awesome about clearing up any questions you may be having.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took Physics part 2 online (lecture and lab)

I took biochemistry, animal nutrition, and cell biology online--and I was accepted to Michigan State. But I emailed them prior to taking any online classes and requested which online courses they accepted and recommended.

I didn't do science courses online, but I did a lot of gen ed stuff online through a community college while still in high school (algebra, comp 1 and 2, history, government) and didn't have a problem.

I took animal nutrition online (I attend Rutgers and took my college's online version). Schools never asked me about it.

If it helps, I also took both semesters of organic chemistry + lab at a community college. Never once on interviews was I questioned about any of this, and it did not hinder my application in any way! Also, had a W in first semester from dropping General Chemistry I. That never came up either.

What schools may also consider when looking at courses outside of the classroom is the cost difference between CC's and universities, and even time and schedule demands of the students (making online classes appealing). For me, taking organic chemistry, in order to catch up on pre-reqs, meant taking it during the summer. I physically could not afford the cost of taking it at my university, and saved literally thousands taking it at a CC. I took a bunch of online courses (three) during my time at Rutgers because I worked full time, and it was the only way to fit it into my schedule. As long as you could support/justify your reasons for taking the classes in the format you did, you should not run into any trouble applying to veterinary schools!! :)

I took animal nutrition online (I attend Rutgers and took my college's online version). Schools never asked me about it.

If it helps, I also took both semesters of organic chemistry + lab at a community college. Never once on interviews was I questioned about any of this, and it did not hinder my application in any way! Also, had a W in first semester from dropping General Chemistry I. That never came up either.

What schools may also consider when looking at courses outside of the classroom is the cost difference between CC's and universities, and even time and schedule demands of the students (making online classes appealing). For me, taking organic chemistry, in order to catch up on pre-reqs, meant taking it during the summer. I physically could not afford the cost of taking it at my university, and saved literally thousands taking it at a CC. I took a bunch of online courses (three) during my time at Rutgers because I worked full time, and it was the only way to fit it into my schedule. As long as you could support/justify your reasons for taking the classes in the format you did, you should not run into any trouble applying to veterinary schools!! :)
Hello, fellow RU alumna :) I am a PROUD Cook College Animal Science graduate (Class of 2001). Check out the drawing in the main office of Bartlett Hall (The 'Thank You' cartoon with all the animals-- I drew it!). How did you like Dr. Schoknecht's 'Animal Nutrition' course? I'm sorry that she wasn't around to teach the class in person when you were a student. Dr. Schoknecht was a faculty member at Rutgers while I was completing my undergraduate degree. Hands-down, my favorite class at Rutgers (I had several 'second favorites,' but that one was my all time fav). She's an amazing professor- absolutely loved that class. How was the online version? Congrats on the dual-degree programs, by the way! I assume you completed a GH Cook thesis while at RU? Who did you work under? I completed mine in Dr. McKeever's lab (equine acid-base homeostasis; my entre to physiology). I'm still very, very tight with my undergrad faculty. LOVED Rutgers, would definitely relive the experience in a heartbeat :)

That's interesting... I had no problem taking quite a few prereq's online.
  • Math I & II, statistics I, genetics, biochemistry I & II, writing, and several social science/humanities courses -- All the schools I applied to (Tufts, Davis, Western, Oregon State) were fine with these being 100% online. Genetics and biochem were online from a university because they're upper-division. The rest were a mix of CC & university.
  • Physics II & III -- I do the labs at home with my own lab equipment. Davis, Oregon State, and Tufts were fine with this. Western was not.
  • Physiology -- Davis told me to take it online, because no nearby schools offered a purely physiology course. The other three schools were either okay with this, or didn't care because they accepted my on-campus anatomy/physiology.
I was admitted at Oregon, waitlisted at Davis and Western (but will be removing myself from Western's list because of the physics lab), and declined the interview at Tufts. I think I put a short note in the "additional information / explanation statement" box on VMCAS, and said that it was easier to schedule a bunch of classes plus work plus a big volunteer commitment (guide dogs, which is really time-consuming) if I took some courses online. I was never asked to explain further.

You can definitely ask the schools you're interested in. I didn't think to ask before applying, so I guess I was really lucky that no one cared. That would have been expensive to redo all those courses and reapply!:eek:

I took Genetics, Biochemistry, Physics II, and Statistics completely online through the U of MN and took Microbiology at a CC and I was accepted and no one questioned the classes. Honestly it probably depends more on the school you take it from than the method of teaching/delivery. Also the description of the course and the level of difficulty its at, or any pre-reqs you would need for those courses (like needing Gen Bio for Microbio, etc)

That's interesting... I had no problem taking quite a few prereq's online.
  • Math I & II, statistics I, genetics, biochemistry I & II, writing, and several social science/humanities courses -- All the schools I applied to (Tufts, Davis, Western, Oregon State) were fine with these being 100% online. Genetics and biochem were online from a university because they're upper-division. The rest were a mix of CC & university.
  • Physics II & III -- I do the labs at home with my own lab equipment. Davis, Oregon State, and Tufts were fine with this. Western was not.
  • Physiology -- Davis told me to take it online, because no nearby schools offered a purely physiology course. The other three schools were either okay with this, or didn't care because they accepted my on-campus anatomy/physiology.
I was admitted at Oregon, waitlisted at Davis and Western (but will be removing myself from Western's list because of the physics lab), and declined the interview at Tufts. I think I put a short note in the "additional information / explanation statement" box on VMCAS, and said that it was easier to schedule a bunch of classes plus work plus a big volunteer commitment (guide dogs, which is really time-consuming) if I took some courses online. I was never asked to explain further.

You can definitely ask the schools you're interested in. I didn't think to ask before applying, so I guess I was really lucky that no one cared. That would have been expensive to redo all those courses and reapply!:eek:

What online school did you attend for your pre-reqs?

^ Good course. You won't need the book, all the material you'll need is on his powerpoints if it's still Forcythe teaching

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow I just looked at Purdue's nutrition course and it's $1500 for just that one class. Damn!! I read somewhere on here about some school (has St. in the name I think) that is super cheap and offers the Animal Nutrition/Science courses but I forgot the name. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Wow I just looked at Purdue's nutrition course and it's $1500 for just that one class. Damn!! I read somewhere on here about some school (has St. in the name I think) that is super cheap and offers the Animal Nutrition/Science courses but I forgot the name. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
OKstate has one that is pretty cheap I believe. Lots of people take animal nutrition and genetics through their online classroom.

Reactions: 1 users
OKstate has one that is pretty cheap I believe. Lots of people take animal nutrition and genetics through their online classroom.

Oh yes I just looked at their pricing and it's about the same as I heard the other school charges. I'll go ahead and take it with them. Thanks!

I took Physics II (lecture, NOT lab), Trig, and Biochem online. I have had absolutely no problems applying to Iowa, Illinois, Michigan, Florida, or Ohio.

Always asks the schools, but I think it's rare/foolish for a school not to accept an online lecture nowadays. You can learn the exact same material in your bed as you can in a lecture hall. However, tread carefully with online/at-home laboratory courses. Apparently some schools accept them, but I got laughs when I asked schools about taking one. But that's only five schools. Oregon actually offers online lab courses, and @WillowLeaf looks like a good resource for questions about that. I personally think online/at-home chemistry labs are not going to give you the same results as a traditional lab course, but it's your decision. I think physics labs are a good at-home course...no chemical measurements and whatnot involved.

@WillowLeaf, do you know anything about Oregon's online orgo course?

There's almost nothing more fun than opening up your "Online Physics Lab Kit" and pulling out slinkies and electric circuits and springs and all sorts of random crap. Except then actually doing the labs and being mocked mercilessly by your roommates/friends who happen to be over as you attempt to hang a slinky from your refrigerator... oh good times...

Reactions: 1 user
St. Petersburg College. I took their Animal Nutrition course and plan on taking the Animal Science one if I get into Florida.

@pinkpuppy9 I have no idea about Oregon's online course, sorry. I took orgo in person. I took physics lab online and it was less fun than in-person lab courses, but I still learned quite a bit. I'd be really interested to hear how online chemistry labs are, though. I think it's an excellent idea to try to offer online science courses for people who are working during the day or whatever, but I'm curious how good an at-home chem lab would be. And how expensive, if you have to get your own equipment. I would think online orgo would be harder to do than gen chem, because most of our orgo labs required fume hoods.

Are you sure the labs are fully online? Sometimes schools offer online science courses with labs, but when you actually look at the schedule you find that the labs are on campus on Saturdays or something. Or maybe there are virtual labs for orgo?
What online school did you attend for your pre-reqs?
I took a couple classes from University of New England, and the rest were mostly from local community colleges, whichever one happened to offer each class that I wanted to take online. I'd highly recommend checking with vet schools before taking lab classes online like I did, though, because some vet schools dislike online labs.

@pinkpuppy9 I have no idea about Oregon's online course, sorry. I took orgo in person. I took physics lab online and it was less fun than in-person lab courses, but I still learned quite a bit. I'd be really interested to hear how online chemistry labs are, though. I think it's an excellent idea to try to offer online science courses for people who are working during the day or whatever, but I'm curious how good an at-home chem lab would be. And how expensive, if you have to get your own equipment. I would think online orgo would be harder to do than gen chem, because most of our orgo labs required fume hoods.

Are you sure the labs are fully online? Sometimes schools offer online science courses with labs, but when you actually look at the schedule you find that the labs are on campus on Saturdays or something. Or maybe there are virtual labs for orgo?

I took a couple classes from University of New England, and the rest were mostly from local community colleges, whichever one happened to offer each class that I wanted to take online. I'd highly recommend checking with vet schools before taking lab classes online like I did, though, because some vet schools dislike online labs.
I looked into Orgo's online lab course, and it looks like you pour your chemicals with the click of a mouse. I could be completely wrong, but the demo sure made it seem that way. I'm hoping to repeat orgo lecture online if I need to reapply. Luckily I'm set with labs.

Has anybody taken a communication/speech course online and had any issues or been questioned? I'm looking at taking one online (for the sake of scheduling/time conflicts) and am a little hesitant to do so considering I know speech and communication is an essential aspect of veterinary medicine (as are science courses that are prereqs). The reason I'm concerned is essentially that most people take only one speech/communication course whereas many science courses are taken to get into vet school, so you have multiple chances to 'prove' you can handle science courses (both in class and online) but if you only take one speech/communication course and it is online I'm afraid they will think you were trying to avoid actually speaking with people. If that makes sense?

Has anybody taken a communication/speech course online and had any issues or been questioned? I'm looking at taking one online (for the sake of scheduling/time conflicts) and am a little hesitant to do so considering I know speech and communication is an essential aspect of veterinary medicine (as are science courses that are prereqs). The reason I'm concerned is essentially that most people take only one speech/communication course whereas many science courses are taken to get into vet school, so you have multiple chances to 'prove' you can handle science courses (both in class and online) but if you only take one speech/communication course and it is online I'm afraid they will think you were trying to avoid actually speaking with people. If that makes sense?

You should email the schools you want to apply to that list speech and communication as a prereq. Give them a link to the information about the course you want to take or send them a syllabus. It's going to depend on the school.

I understand what you mean about it possibly appearing that you're trying to avoid a class where you have to stand up and speak to people in person. Some schools may not really care as long as you have credit for a speech and communication course. Others may find it completely unacceptable. Just ask the schools.

I took biochemistry, animal nutrition, and cell biology online--and I was accepted to Michigan State. But I emailed them prior to taking any online classes and requested which online courses they accepted and recommended.
Where did you take biochem online at? My school only offers biochem in the fall and I need to take it in the spring. :/

Where did you take biochem online at? My school only offers biochem in the fall and I need to take it in the spring. :/
I took it at Kansas State. It was REALLY hard if you've never had any sort of biochem before. I have a strong background in it but none of my credits counted since they were all graduate credits so I had to take it for undergrad credit. I managed to scrape by with an A but it was tough.