Online Courses as pre-reqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD4Me99

Reaction score
When med schools talk about online courses (pre-reqs or post bacc) not being accepted, is it like random online courses or are the online classes from a CC or state Uni not accepted either? How do they tell the difference? On my transcript there isn’t any special mark for the online classes I took. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Not 100%, but from what I understand as long as it is an accredited place with an offline option and it is the same on the transcript, there is really no way to differentiate. I imagine there could always be a code the school puts that signifies online and might not be apparent, or the med school could contact them and I’m sure the school would be clear it was online. I’m sure it depends on the med school how strict they intend to be—some even say online classes are ok as long as there is no lab component. I think your best bet would be covering your bases on both ends—ask some med schools to elaborate on their policies, and ask the online class school how they record the credits.

y checked for fulfillment until after you have taken up an offer of acceptance during prematriculation. Here schools may perform indepth due diligence that may include contacting school registrar and/or requiring verification from other sources. This indepth due diligence is becoming more common as medical schools fall under the umbrella or association of large hospital systems.

I mention 1, 2, and 3 if you read the next sentence. The last sentence gives advice to avoid 4.

Members don't see this ad :)
When med schools talk about online courses (pre-reqs or post bacc) not being accepted, is it like random online courses or are the online classes from a CC or state Uni not accepted either? How do they tell the difference? On my transcript there isn’t any special mark for the online classes I took. Thanks!

If you want specific information about what goes to the National Student Clearinghouse, please call the Registrar for that institution.

Last edited by a moderator: