Online Gen Chem 1 & 2 Over the Summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MantisToboggin

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a career changer who was planning on taking my core sciences as a post-bacc beginning in the summer. I was already anxious about taking gen Chem 1 and 2 over the summer because they would be taught at an accelerated pace and I struggled the first time I took Chem 1 in college (changed my major didn't need it anymore and withdrew). Now I have been informed that the summer classes are all moved to an online format. I have contacted the dental schools that I am interested in attending and asked about if these online classes will be acceptable and they all have said they will not hurt my application given the circumstances of COVID-19. I guess I am posting because I want to hear some opinions on what route I should take. If I take my courses online I worry I will not do as well and also will not be able to get those all important letters of recommendation that I know most students get from their Chem professors. I am trying to cram both classes into this summer so I can apply by next year to the school in my state. Do I just wait it out and take "normal" classes in the Fall and Spring and add a year to when I can begin the application process? Any advice or input would be appreciated. Stay safe out there.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I am a career changer who was planning on taking my core sciences as a post-bacc beginning in the summer. I was already anxious about taking gen Chem 1 and 2 over the summer because they would be taught at an accelerated pace and I struggled the first time I took Chem 1 in college (changed my major didn't need it anymore and withdrew). Now I have been informed that the summer classes are all moved to an online format. I have contacted the dental schools that I am interested in attending and asked about if these online classes will be acceptable and they all have said they will not hurt my application given the circumstances of COVID-19. I guess I am posting because I want to hear some opinions on what route I should take. If I take my courses online I worry I will not do as well and also will not be able to get those all important letters of recommendation that I know most students get from their Chem professors. I am trying to cram both classes into this summer so I can apply by next year to the school in my state. Do I just wait it out and take "normal" classes in the Fall and Spring and add a year to when I can begin the application process? Any advice or input would be appreciated. Stay safe out there.

Be aware of what you sign up for. Not only with them being online classes but ones that are taught at an accelerated pace. Online classes are known to be tough because they encourage independent learning and you have to follow a schedule without being required to attend in person. If you’re well-versed on the subject matter, it shouldn’t be an issue. However, you said that you had a tough time in lecture. I took Organic Chem 1 and 2 with labs over the summer last yearh and let me tell you.. it was hell. And I had plenty of opportunities to seek help in person. If you decide to take gen chem 1 and 2 online, know the risks involved by not having the same opportunities as learning it in a lecture-based environment. Your GPA could take a hit as a result. You don’t want to be in a situation of having to take it again. They’ll average both attempts into your GPA. Even an A second time around with a mid C would still average to a B.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello all,

I recommend choosing your online courses carefully. I can assure you that online classes vary in quality, difficulty, and cost. Not all students learn the best in an online setting...however, it is important to develop the ability to learn in different environments (e.g. on-ground, online, virtual, etc.) as that is a skill that is needed in your career.

I would not recommend waiting to take on-ground classes because the on-ground classes may become online classes.

Last edited by a moderator: