Online "Health Science" Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringPA

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've searched SDN and the internet over trying to find guidance on my current and somewhat unique situation. I have been working on General Education courses at an online institution (University of Maryland College University) and would like to transfer to Kaplan's online "Health Science" degree program. My ultimate goal is to get into PA school however I am limited in where I can pursue my undergraduate degree as I am active duty military. I have done an immense amount of research into PA school and what the admissions committiees typically look for and it seems that quite a few use what's called "the whole person approach". Does anyone know how getting my bachelors from Kaplan would affect my chances for acceptance to PA school? This is of course assuming my GPA is stellar along with many shadowing hours.
Side note: I have 3 years left in the military and plan to take most of the science pre-requisites at a traditional university when I get out before applying to PA school

Does it look like I am on the right track or is there a better way to get to where I want to be?
Any help is greatly appriciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I've searched SDN and the internet over trying to find guidance on my current and somewhat unique situation. I have been working on General Education courses at an online institution (University of Maryland College University) and would like to transfer to Kaplan's online "Health Science" degree program. My ultimate goal is to get into PA school however I am limited in where I can pursue my undergraduate degree as I am active duty military. I have done an immense amount of research into PA school and what the admissions committiees typically look for and it seems that quite a few use what's called "the whole person approach". Does anyone know how getting my bachelors from Kaplan would affect my chances for acceptance to PA school? This is of course assuming my GPA is stellar along with many shadowing hours.
Side note: I have 3 years left in the military and plan to take most of the science pre-requisites at a traditional university when I get out before applying to PA school

Does it look like I am on the right track or is there a better way to get to where I want to be?
Any help is greatly appriciated!

First off Thank you for your Service!!!

I'm not extremely familiar with the military specialties, but if at all possible if you find yourself in a situation to where you can become a field medic or get any kind of medical experience while serving would infinitely boost your chances in my opinion. That would be on the "to do" list for sure. As far as taking courses online... You are doing the most of what you can, while you can, when you can... no one can fault you for that. Keep up the hard work, stay focused, it will pay off.

Also there is a military tab here on SDN I'm sure some members in that section would be much more versed in your situation.

GOOD LUCK !!!

Little off topic, but I'm considering the military path myself.
What branch and what MOS/AFSC?

What month will you get back vs PA cycle starting? You can get most of your credits done and then do the pre reqs and 30 credits for a degree at a brick and mortar once you get back. That shouldn't take more than 1.5 years, which may work out perfect or leave you with .5 years to get some scribing done.