Online MBA during residency

Discussion in 'Med Business [ MD/MBA, DO/MBA, DDS/MBA ]' started by Ttan, Apr 14, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Ttan

Ttan 7+ Year Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hi all

Anybody done this or have experience/pointers on how to carry it out?

I'm finishing year one of my residency and looking to start working on the online MBA alongside the rest of my training.

Also in addition, do online programs defer the entrance exams for MDs? For someone coming from a biology background, any prereqs or reading that should be done prior to starting?

Thanks!

jcorpsmanMD likes this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Johan90

Johan90

Sep 5, 2016
    I am in a similar position

4. cellsaver

cellsaver

Dec 26, 2016

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    Reality? likes this.
  5. TexasPhysician

TexasPhysician SDN Moderator 7+ Year Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Physician
    I agree that an MBA mid residency is not a good idea. If you really love the subject matter, pick up some books and begin the learning process on your own.

6. Wjldenver

Wjldenver 2+ Year Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Denver, Colorado
    In business, the quality of the school you attend is very important. Particularly if you want to leverage the MD/MBA combo to work for one of the top tier consulting firm like McKinsey, Bain, etc. Use this link as a start in regard to school selection.

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/mba-rankings?int=9dc208

Not all of the schools ranked high nationally have on-line programs. My recommendation is to look into the on-line programs at Indiana, Carnegie Mellon, and the University of North Carolina. I attended two out of these three schools and recommend them. I believe as an MD you will still be required to take the GMAT or GRE. But you should have no worries there.