Online MBA during residency

Discussion in 'Med Business [ MD/MBA, DO/MBA, DDS/MBA ]' started by Ttan, Apr 14, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Ttan

Ttan 7+ Year Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hi all

Anybody done this or have experience/pointers on how to carry it out?

I'm finishing year one of my residency and looking to start working on the online MBA alongside the rest of my training.

Also in addition, do online programs defer the entrance exams for MDs? For someone coming from a biology background, any prereqs or reading that should be done prior to starting?

Thanks!

jcorpsmanMD likes this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Johan90

Johan90

Sep 5, 2016
    I am in a similar position

4. cellsaver

cellsaver Account on Hold Account on Hold

Dec 26, 2016
    I did my MBA post preclinical years. It was helllllll. I dont know how you can pull off Residency. My Dean gave me permission but warned me: two years and youre done.

Awful experience. the amount of writing was obscene. The reading was crushing. I thought I would breeze through it because of my corporate biotech industry background. There was no breezing, I slept very little and I forgot much of my preclinical nitty gritty stuff.

I do not recommend it while Residency. The GMAT was waived for me because I qualified for the Executive MBA Program (> 10 years corporate experience) otherwise my Dean would have not given me permission

I can not overstate that the amount of papers (APA Format, proper citations, etc) and reading were all consuming...a full time job. I am glad I earned the MBA and it has opened doors for my future as a MD. However, timing is everything.

Best wishes

Reality? likes this.
  5. TexasPhysician

TexasPhysician SDN Moderator 7+ Year Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Physician
    I agree that an MBA mid residency is not a good idea. If you really love the subject matter, pick up some books and begin the learning process on your own.